Thinking about taking some guitar lessons to help with bass playing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Mar 22, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'm thinking about taking some lessons on guitar. Not because I want to be a guitarist, but I want to be more well rounded as a musicain. I feel it will allow me to play bass better if I know what the guitars are doing, also in my band I want to participate more in song writing in my band. Just looking for some suggestions, is it a good idea? Also what should I learn first? I have a decent foundation since I started to play bass over a year and a half ago, I can already play drums. thanks....
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Actually, my wife just bought an acoustic / electric guitar last weekend and I am trying to learn how to play guitar along with her.

I found that coming from the bass, some things like scale shapes transfer easily. Playing chords has been a pain though.

If you've been learning theory, that will transfer to any instrument you play, so that can give you a leg up.

If I were going to an instructor (I'm trying to learn guitar out of a book because if I go back to taking lessons again I'll take bass lessons) I'd let them teach me as if I were a beginner, but I would imagine the learning curve won't be very steep since you've been playing bass for awhile.