Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about taking some guitar lessons to help with bass playing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Mar 22, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'm thinking about taking some lessons on guitar. Not because I want to be a guitarist, but I want to be more well rounded as a musicain. I feel it will allow me to play bass better if I know what the guitars are doing, also in my band I want to participate more in song writing in my band. Just looking for some suggestions, is it a good idea? Also what should I learn first? I have a decent foundation since I started to play bass over a year and a half ago, I can already play drums. thanks....

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Actually, my wife just bought an acoustic / electric guitar last weekend and I am trying to learn how to play guitar along with her.

I found that coming from the bass, some things like scale shapes transfer easily. Playing chords has been a pain though.

If you've been learning theory, that will transfer to any instrument you play, so that can give you a leg up.

If I were going to an instructor (I'm trying to learn guitar out of a book because if I go back to taking lessons again I'll take bass lessons) I'd let them teach me as if I were a beginner, but I would imagine the learning curve won't be very steep since you've been playing bass for awhile.