Thinking of building a fuzz pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jedi, Apr 20, 2005.

1. jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Hello there.
    In search of a fuzz pedal that I like or can afford, I do'nt really have the resources to try many out. Instead, I found the fuzz I like and have found it to be from a Shin Ei Fuzz pedal. I don't have the 175 to drop on a used one, so I found these schematics:
    From this site which I found on talkbass:

I was curious if anyone had had any such luck on building a fuzz pedal, and the lucky chance that someone has reproduced a Shin Ei, could you leave some comments or feedback. I'm still mulling this over in my head. I've taught myself via the internet on how to construct other things, so I'm not to worried about that, I'm just curious about your thoughts.

2. hey thats a good idea, the only thing i would say is i would start on an easy fuzz, such as the tweak-o (, so you can get a good grasp on what you need to do for that pedal, but i don't know your level of expertise so i will say that it is worth a try...tell us how it ends up!

Good luck,
  3. jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    well, my expertise is this
    i'm sufficiant with a soldering iron
    and stubborn as hell
    so i work on it till it works, or quit when i don't know what is wrong since i don't ever have any friends to ask because they aren't into diy about things they've never done.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Second vote for the Tweak-O from Small Bear.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Do the Tweak-O.. but do it on a solderless breadbaord...

Then you can make quick changes on the fly to your circuit.
  7. I don't know how that will sound on bass, but I've heard tell it's great on guitar. If you build it, there is a small error in that scheme... swap the connections to lugs 1 & 2 on the fuzz pot. ;)

I would recommend the Bazz Fuzz or the Buzz Box (two Bazzes in series). IMVHO, the Tweak-O sucks a lot of low end. The Buzz Box is way fatter. :cool:

~ Charlie
  8. Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
  9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That one will do fine. The original had 10uF input and output caps if I remember properly.

Start with the simple one. I found the "deluxe" model is geared too much towards guitar, not bass. YMMV.
  10. iheartbass

Jan 19, 2005
    i built the deluxe bazz fuss, it's totally awesome. Responds great to playing dynamics. And when you really wail on it it can seriously gnarl your sound.

For the low part count, and simple circuit, i'd highly recommend it.
  11. Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    I ask some one to build the deluxe bazz fuss me, im gonna have a go at the Bazz fuss with my friend. cant wait. :bassist:
  12. lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    yo jedi,
    i built the shin-ei companion fuzz some weeks ago.
    it is an interesting box but imho, absolutely useless for bass...the distortion is so over the top. sounds great on guitar, tho.
    i experimented with the input cap when i built it, so i increased the value to have more bass come thru, but after i found out that that i won´t use it for bass, i went back to the original input cap and now it sounds better with guitar.

13. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    If money is the issue, than beware wasting money on:
    * Analog problems - physical layout can affect the final result (noise problems)
    * Parts selected - different types of resistors and caps have different sounds to them

While more expensive, at least with a ready-made item, you can "try before you buy".
  14. Soulman

Apr 23, 2006
    The shin-ei fuzz pedal is expensive for what it is. If you wanna buy a real one, the Fuzz Wah is way better value. It has a switch for 2 fuzz sounds, one midrange up, the other midrange scooped out. And the pedal works. The switches are the only bugbear.
  15. its worth having a bash all though it can become an addictive hobby
  16. cameric

Dec 31, 2007
    I heartily recommend Craig Anderton's genius book Electronic Projects for Musicians and
    Guitar Player Presents Do-It-Yourself Projects for Guitarists:

The 'tube sound fuzz' project is excellent for bass, and has been (ahem) 'adapted' by many boutique manufacturers. It uses a 4049 hex inverter/buffer chip which is commonly available, and if you're interested in the other projects, I'm told that modern replacements are available for some of the more esoteric components that he uses.

Fuzzes are one of simplest & cheapest things to build - it staggers me how expensive some boutique pedals are. (However, there are some great innovators out there - Zvex is cool. I applaud Polish Love!) It pays to learn the techniques to do it right tho (and to a lesser extent, purchasing quality components), because sloppy construction can be detrimental and frustrating. Craig Anderton's books, although dated somewhat, are brilliant in this respect.
  17. arai

Jul 16, 2007
    i made the fuzz part of the super fuzz wah circuit that has the tone switch but used a pot instead of the tone switch (gets you inbetween the tonal extremes)
    works good with bass . but it is pretty full on.
  18. Soulman

Apr 23, 2006
    Yep, full on it is!
    I love taking a Chris Squire approach to escalating simple lines and making the fuzz claim the territory.
    Works even better with a touch or analog delay or reverb.
  19. timefortea

Jan 20, 2011
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just built this pedal, with 2 1N4148 diodes, and the decay is almost instantaneous. Sounds like it would sound awesome, but no notes last long enough to find out.

Any suggestions?
  20. timefortea

Jan 20, 2011
    The buzz box from home wreckers that is.