Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of Buying a Behringer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by A_Winters_Rose, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A_Winters_Rose

A_Winters_Rose

Jul 19, 2005
    Well I have been saving up for a new amp for quite some time now and I want to get the best for my money. The probliem is that I don't have much of it. At the time being I have a combo. Its a Peavey TnT. Its ok but I'd like to get something that I could add on to as the years pass. So Head wise I was looking at the Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T and cab wise the Behringer BA810. I know that I'll be killing a lot of head room being the head is 300 and the cab can hold 2,000 watts but I want to add a poweramp to this line up later in the year. I was just wondering on how clear the sound will be with this set up and if it will last me. I play hardcore/metal/funk.... and just about everything else. I'm 16 so I don't have the income of offered the top of the line but if anyone has a nice quality/ low prieced set up tell me

-thanks-

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If'n yer looking at something 'as the years pass'...you might keep thinking a bit...and as yer doing that, save up bit more until you can grab say an Ashdown MAG300, Hartke3500, Peavey Firebass, Kustom Groovebass1200, a smaller GK or such. They're not so much more, and have much better reputations for lasting. No matter what you think of the Behringer politics, they're not known for lasting long. You should think about delving into the used market, where for the same cash you could get a better amp head.

3. 76Tbird

76Tbird

Mar 18, 2003
    What you will find here is that there are two groups:

Group A has never and will never own a Behringer amp because of "moral issues" or rumours they have heard about how their amps suck.

Group B actually owns and uses Behringer heads and they swear by them. I and many others fall into this second group.

Listen to who you want, but the amps are inexpensive, sound good, and mine has never let me down after over a year of gigs and practice.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Add a third group:

Group C: Never owned one, but have read enough bad reviews from owners to not want to spend money on gear that might fry or fall apart. Has nothing to do with the politics. Its as simple as doing a seach...here, harmony central and other sites.

Or out of the mouth of the guy @ GC to me yesterday "its great if you're gonna keep in in one place, not move it much...just walk over and hit a few buttons and twist a few knobs...I wouldn't want to gig with it." AND THAT'S FROM A GUY SELLING THEM.

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd focus on getting one good high quality cab first. Something more like a 210, 112, or a 115. That way you can add more cabs as needed later.

If you really want that BX300T then go for it. I've never owned that head, but I have not had good results with other Behringer products. I personally would snag a Hartke 3500 head first. If you get one used (preferably one of the MOSFET's), you will probably be spending around the same amount.

6. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    Although the negitives about the Behringer amps are very loud in TB, the positives I have seen on the net have built quietly and out number the posters of doom around here. I think it would be a great amp but for about $50 more you might want to wait and get a Ashdown Mag 300H.
    Both are great amps for people on a limited budget.

For complete package deals be sure to check out avatarspeakers.com. Great place to start and room to grow later.

7. Group D - Have owned one or have a good friend who's BX300T has caught fire, and then decide to not like them

8. What I have found is your post is less helpful than it is inflammatory.

Mike

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Save another $100 and get something else. The stuff doesn't last.

10. You're forgetting Group E, who has used and serviced Behringer and knows for a FACT that it's junk. :spit:

Also you left out that Group B generally has never had another amp, and gets really whiny when someone who has gigged and repaired amps for years tells them that while their $200 Behringer may sound like pure gold to them, there are very REAL issues with that company's products.

If you want a good amp for cheap, used is THE way to go. Even though you'll hear people telling you that with new products you get a warranty, I defy anyone to provide a truthful anecdote of Behringer having ANY customer service.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm not going to hop onto the Behringer bashing that is already taking place, and will continue to take place. I'm just going to tell you this:
    Go out to your local stores, get your paws on everything that you can, and find what you LOVE, then save up for it if you have to.

-Ray

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    He forgot group C. I own a Behringer PA amp/mixer it is terrible. It makes a wooshing noise everytime you turn it on, I returned it twice. The things a POS.

13. Dude, we're on group F now :p

And ill admit, ive got a behringer unpowered mixer with external power supply that does its job well, and some behringer mics, that also do thier jobs, i just cant stand the bass amps!

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You're forgetting group G: "Not another f'n behringer thread!"

15. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Hold onto your money and keep looking around for used gear. There are some great deals to be had for much higher quality gear.

16. Not quite true.

I must be in group H

;)

Have owned Behringer gear, a number of products actually - and whilst they've been OK they haven't been outstanding. I've recently sold my Behringer practice amp (BX600) and favour of a Warwick Blue Cab 20, and the Warwick is so much nicer it's unbelievable!

Recently tried some BX3000T's when looking for a new head, but ended up with an Ashdown Mag300 head for only a little bit extra. So much nicer, I couldn't be happier.

:bassist:

17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'm in Group G with Mark.

Mark, I have found myself agreeing with you alot lately. I'm starting to get really scared! :eek: :p

18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yeah, but the guy selling them probably guessed your price point, and figured he could upsell you into more expensive gear by dissing the Behringer amp. Every customer who walks in the door probably gets a different story :)

Group Q: Never owned one, never heard one, not impressed by the features / specs regardless of price and quality, and affluent enough for something that meets my requirements.

19. OK, ignoring all the bashing (which I agree with, but that's another story) let's prove that you can get far more bang for your buck. Judging by Froogle, you can get that bx3000t and the 810 for between 650 and 800 bucks- I don't know if you're buying local or what.

Checking out Avatar- you can get a B410 Kappa Pro and an Ashdown 300H for ~$700 shipped to your door. Even buying new, this will get you a lighter rig, original version of the bass amp head, and it will look a lot snappier to boot.

Or, sticking with Avatar and getting the brand new B212 Neo instead of the B410, you can get away with the whole thing for $630. Good luck beating that.

20. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Don't get the Behringer 8x10 cab with aluminum cones. I have first-hand experience with it, playing it in a shop.

My 2x10 with a 97dB sensitivity rating is much louder, weighs less than half as much, takes up less than one third the space, is much easier to handle, fits better on tight stages, and doesn't have a harsh high end that can't even be tamed with the tone control of your passive bass from aluminium cones.

I was using my rig, minus my cabinet. My bass and my amp, and the Behringer cab just didn't do anything. And to make sure it wasn't a fluke, the two 4x10 cabinets (both plugged in for a four ohm load) weren't louder than my 2x10 either.

If you want the 8x10 for stage prescense, make something out of cardboard that isn't so shiny and all gold-looking, get a decent cabinet for half the money of the Behringer to put behind it, and you'll be set.

And just to give the whole story, my 2x10 didn't even cost me $200 brand new.

If you want to go with the Behringer head, and you're ready to accept a dead unit (probably with no support from Behringer) and have read up on their ethics, I won't stop you. But I will tell you that for only $50 more you can get an amp that is known to be reliable and is from a reputable company - the Ashdown MAG300.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.