1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of downsizing my collection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sonic, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Hey guys,

I'm positive this has come up before but I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. I'm seriously considering getting rid of most of my basses (read most, not all). I recently bought a Fender Jazz and don't really use anything else anymore. It just seems to fit the bill for most anything I'm doing (which isn't much at the moment but still). What do you guys think? Ever thought of doing a purge and taking a more minimalist route. :bassist:

2. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Of course. It's not enough to have GAS and obsess about wanting more. It's even more important to worry that you have too much and you need to sell most of what you have. Only when you are experiencing both these emotions simultaneously will you reach enlightenment.

3. I'm down to one bass (Fender 62 RI P Bass)....couldn't be happier...no more worrying about which bass to use.

4. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Aug 21, 2008
    Germany
    Endorsing Artist : Fodera Guitars , Harvest fine leather bags & straps
    nothing new here - I guess this has happened to millions before you (me included :D)

It's frustrating how easy the Leo Design still is a force in the mix :)

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Um, yes...

Downsizing is always a good thought, especially if you have certain basses that you haven't played forever.

However, my experience is that the minute you unload that "unused" instrument...like say my doubled 8 string... The phone will ring and you'll get an offer you can't refuse to join a Cheap Trick tribute band or the like. Finding another 8 string bass to replace the one you just sold for a song will usually cost you twice what you originally paid for the one you got rid of.

This is how life works.

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    be careful.....don't let the honeymoon make you do something you will regret later...

I am NOT saying downsizing is a bad thing (Lord Help me...I SHOULD do it)....BUT make sure this is what you really want to do...in other words, give it time...maybe a month or more and then play the basses you have...

if the "spark is gone" then sell then...

but you may feel differently after a while...

7. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Oh yeah. I'm 60, am hoping to retire in about 6 years (again...hoping) and want to downsize on all levels. Lots of stuff in the house (including way too much gear) that I would love to see gone. Offhand there's only 3 basses that I want to keep: a Jazz, a Precision and a SR505.

On downsizing I like how a doctor I use to know put it. "If you ever came over to my house you'd be amazed at what I don't have. It's not that I can't afford it, I can. But in the end it's all ****."

8. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I recently did this, partly motivated by need to pay for the '54 King Mortone I bought and repairs it needed. I'm now up to two DB's but only three BG's. After experimenting with many different basses I kept coming back to Jazz basses so I kept one Fender and one Lakland Jazz and a Ric 4001 I just can't part with because it has "that tone" even though I play the Jazzes most all the time. I'm plenty happy now and GAS free fro the moment.

9. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I've never missed a bass I have sold. You can always buy another one if you do (usually anyway). How can I deal with my GAS if I don't' sell stuff once in awhile? :)

10. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Unless you have kids you want to pass them down to OR a national tour coming up, sell them and enjoy the cash. You can always buy more stuff later!

11. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Honestly I expand and then shrink but mostly because I upgrade and might sell three to get one. I had six at one time (not a lot by this board's standards) now I have three. The one I'll never get rid of, the one I built and my acoustic. I still have plans for others, but I can never pull the trigger. I've never played a bass that will make me replace my jazz. So I just always walk away. I've started spending my money on other things in my life because I just can't justify spending the money on wall art. Maybe I'm done, maybe not. Honestly I don't care if I only play my jazz the rest of my life. Is like my wife, there may be alot of different women with different attributes, but my wife fits me and is my best friend.

12. Yes, I have felt that way.... But after I sell stuff I start gassing for something else, and I start piling it up again....

13. antonspon

antonspon

Mar 27, 2013
    Be very, very careful! I have regretted every single decent instrument and amp I've sold, and if I could have them all back I would! If you're not playing them because they're rubbish, then by all means sell them, but if they just don't grab your fancy right now, at least wait (like a year or two) before you take the plunge. I play two of my basses pretty much 99% of the time...but then I pick up one of the others and hey presto, it inspires me to play something different and a new song emerges. It's like an artist's palette - maybe you use blues and greens for most of your paintings, but one day you just have to have that splash of red to take you in a new direction!

14. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep! Doing that right now. Had close to 30 basses at one point. Down to 9 now with one on Ebay and two in the classifieds (see signature).

15. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Amen.

Just bought a Spector, now I'm trying to figure out which bass to sell.

16. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

Apr 10, 2010
    I did this last year. I just felt like I had too many just sitting around. I kept 2 Lakland 55-01's and have been extremely happy with my decision. I am planning on a Lakland US 55-94, but when I pull that trigger I will sell one of the 55-01's and only have 2 again.

17. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I'm no way near to quality of many of Mark's past and present basses, yet I own 20 and 40 more are behind me.

So, if I hadn't reduce now and then this collection of mine, I'd now own 60 basses!

Come on...

Life goes on, and if you have a family and children, or are in the process of divorcing, it's a way to slightly increase personal incomes

Remember
    Women and children first

Cheers,
    Wallace

18. msact

msact Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    I have sold a couple of basses recently and have another listed for sale. In my case I am trying to consolidate lesser basses I have bought and buy one nicer bass to add to my collection. I don't have a problem with having a lot of basses. I try to find time to play all of them at least once in a while. Anyway if Rick Nielsen can have 2000 guitars, I don't have a problem owning a few basses.

19. msact

msact Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    Amen brother! Never forget this. I have my daughters. My wife went to her reward suddenly and way too early. Always celebrate those around you because you never know when your time will be up.

20. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Actually, I've always tended to be a one in, one out type anyway. 6-8 guitars at a time has always been my limit, and remains pretty stead. Each has it's purpose.