1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking of going the Ampeg route...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ghostjs, Oct 13, 2010.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    I've been looking for a powerful sound system that's impression is as good as its sound. I looked at the classic Ampeg 8x10 with a matching head. i'm still open to other suggestions (i liked a few Gallien-Kruegers but I don't know what exactly to choose) and I'm also curious, will the Ampeg SVT450H have enough power to use the SVT-810E? also what kind of power supply would i need to use it? cause I practice normally in my bandmate's garage.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i've powered an 810 with as little as 25w before. worked fine but didn't get screaming loud. i am not a big fan of the 450h/b2re, but it will work. if you decide to get solid state instead of tubes, get an svt 3 or 4 pro instead of the 450h (yes, i know the 3 and 4 pro have tubes, but they haev a solid state power section so they're not officially tube amps). but if you want to do it right, get an svt-cl or vr.

3. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    ah thanks jimmy.

anyone think of the GK 412 and maybe a 700rb or will i need a 1001rb to power it?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    dude, forget this minimum wattage to power a cab stuff. it's all based on myths.

5. keep in mind those things are a bitch to haul to gigs
    bar and otherwise and thats why i dont have the 810 and svtcl setup anymore
    the tone was heaven but the brutal nature of transport sucked.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    GK and 'Peg are pretty night and day different.

For GK, at least an 800RB would power the 810, with the 1001 and 2001 even being more win.

I've thought about getting the 800 or 1001 as a backup for my 400+, as every now and then I do like that SS grind.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yeah, I "only" have 300W going through my NV610.
    I barely can keep up these days! ;)

8. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    yeah iknow gk is very different from ampeg, but im going the cheapest route right now... and loudest. so maybe a 700rb and a matching 412?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i would get a 700rb before a 450h, and i would get the ampeg 810e before a gk 412.

10. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

As Jimmy said, this "minimum wattage" idea is silly.

Plenty of people have powered their 810's with 100 watt and 300 watt heads. In fact, the 300 watt SVT is the "traditional" head for this cab.

I liked my 350H (predecessor of the 450H), but most people hate those heads. I don't like GK stuff much, but lots of people love them. They're certainly loud.

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    ... or an svt-2pro.

12. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree, if You're gonna go with Ampeg don't fool around with their SS gear. I have owned a couple of their Solid state amps, which were very dependable but lacked a lot in the sound department. If You're gonna go Ampeg, get something with some tubes in it. If the tube rigs are beyond Your price point I would take a look at another brand.

13. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    An Ampeg 8 X 10 powered by a GK 800RB (or some such) is a pretty stout rig. :)

14. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    If you're on a budget, get the 800RB first and a decent quality cab, then save your pennies for a "real" Ampeg like a Cl, VR, or even a V4B if you have a big/good cab. SVT 3's are decent ebough, but nothing like an SVT, and you'll still probably want the GK on occasion for lazy gigs.

15. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    cant go wrong with ampeg, ever

16. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    The GK head 810 combo is always good. I pretty much second everything Jimmy told you. You can pick up an 810 and a GK head fairly cheap. I will take GK solid state over Ampeg just about every time.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021