Thinking of Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morf, Feb 19, 2006.

1. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I'm starting to be interested in modulus basses - could someone who owns one give me their thoughts about it? Is it an easy bass to play? Is it heavy? How wide is the neck of a 4 string?

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I don't own one, so take the following with a grain of salt:

I've played the Flea 4, the Carbon fiber neck is very comfortable and easy to move around. It wasn't too heavy.
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The ones that I owned were heavy, but they sounded nice.

Things that I disliked about them were the weight, and this sounds crazy, but the deadspots in the upper register, and the 17mm spacing.

I liked the body shape and neck feel, and tonally I prefered the EMG to the Bart electronics option.

Overall, they were nice basses, but I just seemed to prefer Zon any day over the Modulus in all aspects.
  4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I havent heard of Zon basses, will try to have a look
  5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    +1 about Zon basses.

I own one and it´s a terrific bass.
    I haven´t played any other graphite bass, but to my ears,
    it has the most "woody" sound of them (obviously depends of many factors, but just to give an idea).

Things I like about it: tone, attack, sustain, playability.
    An excellent bass.
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been playing Modulus basses for about 4-5 years now. I had a Quantum 5, but I sold that and bought a Quantum 6. Both had/have the Bart pups and 18v NTMB preamp.

They are quite heavy basses, but not too heavy that it really bothered me. The necks are very comfortable, to me, but the gloss finish can take a bit of getting used to. It can feel a bit sticky, especially when going from a satin finished wood neck. I didn't find it to be a problem, just felt different. I have had absolutely zero problems with dead spots with them.

Not sure on the string spacing on the 4 strings, but I would guess that it would be standard 19mm spacing.
  7. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I have both a Quantum 4 and a Vintage Jazz 4. Love em! The necks are similar to Fender dimensions (as opposed to flat, as, say a Warwick) and feel glassy. The tone is pure and piano-like. In my experience I have no complaints about dead spots - YMMV. A few things I like are the 35' scale and the fact that it seems to never go out of tune (unlike my Ric, or my Roscoe, or my p bass, or.....).

While I'venever played a Zon, I think they are also fine instruments and have many of the same benefits of a carbon neck.

Try to find some to play if you can. Enjoy the search.
  8. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I had a Flea 5. What I liked about it? Good looks, very well made, good electronics, extremely stable. What I didn't like? Big, wide, flat neck that was nearly impossible for me to play on (I like those skinny J necks). The sound really didn't grow on me, after 3 years I sold it.
  9. I've been really impressed with the quantum's and flea's that I've played, but I prefer the genesis models, either the regular genesis (which I ended up buying) or the genesis jazz. The genesis models are more traditional sounding (though still very modern) then the all graphite neck models, so it really comes down to what you are looking for. Either way they are great basses and the neck stability/strength is a huge plus.
  10. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I have two Q5's, one with bart pups and an aguilar pre and one with emg's. I have a zon as well. They are all great basses and keepers for me but if I had to pick just one, it would be the modulus Q5 with barts. Sounds great in both my bands, country and metal.
  11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    plays like a dream, dropkick in the face tone! My favourite high end bass that I've actually played.
  12. seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Stop thinking and buy!!!!

I had a Q5 and sold it. One month later I bought another one because I missed the Q5 so much. It'll never leave me ever again. Q5 + Barts + Aguilar = yum
  13. i would love to have the money for a Q5 or maybe a flea 5....

the necks on them are basically my draw to em, the graphite necks are rock solid
  14. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I have a VJ4 and a Q4 fretless.

The Q is light and awesome, i love it.

The VJ4 is noticeably heavier...

Be aware that you will NOT get a woody, organic tone with a modulus bass. The tone is hi-fi and very modern sounding. The fact that the neck won't need adjusting if you run over it with a truck is great, but they do not have the same feel as a normal bass. it feels like you're playing something man-made, not a peice of art.. if that makes sense.
  15. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I love the Modulus Flea model so much I bought two. The carbon fiber necks are amazing no dead spots all notes ring out loud and clear.
    1.56 wide @ nut 2.45 wide @ 22nd fret four string spacing.
  16. i also have a modulus 4...amazing bass...absolutely no dead spot...great fast neck...amazing sound..and the neck no need adjustments also if you launch it from an airplane..really solid
    need somethig more? :)
  17. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Thanks for all your answers, I am looking for a versatile instrument, with a thin neck and that isnt too heavy, I guess I'll give Zon basses a try before I consider Modulus.
  18. weasel flejtuch

weasel flejtuch

Oct 25, 2006
    Helo, i'm new on talkbass and i'm sorry for my poor and lame english :) Could someone who has modulus FB-4 record some samples? I would like to listen that from anyone who isn't Flea :)
  19. Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway

Keep in mind that the sound varies quite a bit depending on what electronics it´s holding
  20. I have owned 2 Modulus basses, I had a M-92 5 string fretless which is one of the "sweet spot" basses, and I also had a fretted Quantum 5 SPI. Both basses were bolt on design with the graphite necks. I would interchange the necks from time to time just for kicks. They were both heavy, and mine being from the early 90's did NOT have the adjustable truss rod. The M-92 had a single soap bar style EMG active 18 volt system with separate bass and tone controls. This bass had a great sound and was gorgeous. It was candy apple red with a white pearloid pickguard and gold hardware. The Quantum 5 SPI had an ash body with a cocobolo top, gold hardware, two Bartolini soapbar pickups with a 9 volt preamp, bass, treble, blend and a midboost switch for controls. Again, another stunning bass to see!! The tone of both of these basses was a modern type of tone. They sounded fine, but I didn't like the playability. The early Modulus basses didn't have a truss rod, so if you didn't like the way the neck was set up, your only adjustment was string height. I was happy with these basses for only a short while. At the time I used Ken Smith strings. These basses had a 35" scale neck which created a problem with my choice of strings. The strings had the silk windings on the ends like a lot of strings do. The problem was unless I cut the silk windings off of the strings before installing them the windings would be over top of the nut. This deadened the tone, and created a bit of extra hassle changing strings. The easy solution is change brands of strings to a type without silk windings. My problem was I had already bought a case of Ken Smith strings $$$$$$$$$ I never had any other issues with the basses, they were well made and looked great. I cannot speak for the newer basses, but I am sure they are nice.