1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of quitting the band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by OriginalSnub, Apr 28, 2010.

1. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    The singer is currently MIA but booked a gig that is scheduled about a month from now. He said we could do a 45 minute set but we currently only have about 15 minutes of material that has vocals. We have plenty of potential songs but without the singer it's impossible to finish them and be well rehearsed in time for the gig. Everyone seems to have a we'll be fine attitude about it. Would quitting now make me the bad guy? I just have a problem with doing a gig knowing we are going to be horrible.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I assume none of you can sing the parts? I've been in this situation before - it never turns out as bad as you think...

Maybe just jam instrumental.

3. sirmike75

sirmike75

Jul 16, 2009
    Arlington,Texas
    cancel the gig now .....dont wait theres no point ....you dont want the venue to look down on you for cancelling the day of the gig .....give them plenty notice or even find someone to fill in for you

4. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    Are you getting paid for the gig? It's never cool to back out of something already set-up, it reflects worse on you then playing a ****** gig in my opinion. I'd play the gig, take the money and run.

5. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Doesn't sound like there's much of a band to quit.

6. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

Aug 19, 2009
    Dayton, OH
    I've been trying to get them to cancel the gig for a month now. There is no guarantee the singer is going to be back as it's been two months now of him saying he'd be back in a couple weeks. We might get paid a little but not enough to cover gas and me having to take a day off work for it. In reality the gig should have never been booked but the singer did so without checking with any of us, we found found out on the band's myspace.

7. TheMarkV

TheMarkV

Feb 23, 2009
    PA
    ive been in this situation before.
    just replace him if you can and then deal with his hurt ego if he shows up before the gig. that way you will at least have something.

8. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    Why remain in a dysfunctional band like this? I mean, seriously! You didn't book the gig, the person who did is MIA, and everyone else is not giving two hoots.

I'd ditch this band if I were you, and warn the contact person on the other side out of good will. It'll be up to him/her to settle the issue with your singer.

9. Nice. :rollno:

I'd have already quit the band after that. Life is too short to deal with band members like that, especially flaky singer types.

10. firmlybassed

firmlybassed

Mar 6, 2008
    Hickory NC
    Been there done that have the t-shirt.. If you have a friend's band that can do the gig get them in-touch with the person who has booked your band. Then cut your losses and build a new band. Do not do the show unless your ready. Bad shows stay in the taste buds of a club owner much longer than if you found a replacement. Never bad mouth other bands in your area make friends with them and you can help each other out. Example.. When our lead singer got sick we had another band that plays that club cover for us and then we covered for them when they had an issue. The club owner did not care and we continue to play there today.