1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinner neck on Squier CV Jazz vs Fender Classic 60s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Nov 6, 2013.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I have never been able to compare these models "back to back" as the shops I have visited never stocked both at the same time... :meh:

So, can anyone say which bass has the thicker neck (front to back) of these models?
    Fender's home page:
    CV: "modern C"
    Classic '60s: "C" (but is referred to as "ultra slim" in the text?)
    I guess any difference would be more pronounced close to the nut.

Does anyone also know how these necks compare (size-wise) to the Warmoth ones?

2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    >BUMP<

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Anyone?

4. CV is thinner (front to back) than the Classic '60

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    not a matter of nut, yet yes:
    Classic '60s Fender neck is beefier than that on Classic Vibes

Classic 60 then sport reverse windin kluson style machinehead but, whether it be gloss or satin finished, its neck sure feels a bit more "substantial"

Same impression off Reggie Hamilton's MIM Jazz bass neck: still
    a Jazz bass neck but not as thin as Classic Vibe's and Vintage Modified's

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Wallace, interesting you should mention the Reggie neck in the mix here ... I ended up swapping out a Reggie neck on my Classic Series 60's Jazz, because of the 9.5" fretboard radius over the stock 7.25" stock neck on the 60's Classic Serie .. everything else was the same, just the radius became more 'playable' for me ...

7. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    Sorry to derail the thread slightly, but what is the deal with the high-mass bridge on the Squiers? Most of the criticism I've seen for the Classic 60s bass is the flimsy bridge, yet they put that whopper on the Squier?

8. I haven't seen ANY negative criticism of the CV 60's Jazz at all, let alone anything about a flimsy bridge.

9. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin

Sep 17, 2013

I think he was referring to the classic series bridge ?

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    yup, I think so ...

... I am pretty sure he meant that flimsy piece of bent metal junk on the Classic Series Jazz

.. you know, the one that was used on those old hits that have endured for decades ...

:bag:

11. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    QUOTE=C.Linton;15107540]I haven't seen ANY negative criticism of the CV 60's Jazz at all, let alone anything about a flimsy bridge.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the Fender Classic '60s bass not the Squier Classic Vibe '60s bass.

I've not tried either, so I don't have a horse in this race. I doubt Fender are machining thinner bridges for this model. However if you go over to the reviews section on this forum, or do a cursory Google search, people complain about the bridge and neck a lot.

12. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    and infact kept at a regular tunin', it holds some, but if you ever mind to downtune the bass, whether it be just a half or a full step, that Vintage bridge lose every motivation. It's the same if you employ a Hipshot BT3 (the one for reverse wind): confusion, to say the least

I'd tell the Squier Classic Vibe (and Fender Modern Player) himass bridge keeps brass barrell saddel (for tone) and ads useful rail below screws so it's much more versatile

Cheers,
    Wallace

13. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Thanks guys!
    Having owned the Squier CV Jazz, I think its neck is a bit too thin for both stability and tone. (Having played several, they all had more dead spot problem than some other Fenders/Squiers with beefier necks. But the bridge was very good on the CV!
    And I actually like the high gloss finish...