Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

this double thump thing!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Apr 22, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    ok i dowloaded this a while ago, but until i got the vigier i couldnt practice it.

http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/Classical Thump.mov

i was wondering, if anyone here has the same speed wooten has on the second part? wich exercises did you do to speed up the DT?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Wow, I feel like I'm watching old-school munki, he's usually really solid, but that clip is pretty sloppy, it's more like something I might do. heh.

I dunno, I can double thumb really fast, but I wouldn't necessarily say I can do it all that well, it's a pretty silly technique imo. But it is fun to tinker around with it. To get really fast, I just... do it really. I mean, once you have the motions under your belt at a slow pace, it's pretty easy to speed them up.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i know its not a hard thing to play, on moderated speed, but i was wondering if there was any advise or exercise to get better. I think that im going to do the same practice session i did for slap a yerar and a half ago.

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I read somewhere that Urb has been practicing double thump for 9 years, so don't worry if you have the same level yet :meh:

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'm still not a huge fan of this technique. You may be able to play some fast, flashy stuff with it, but it simply doesn't have that in-your-face "thud" you get with traditional slap downstrokes.

Are there any cool slap grooves that were done with double-thumping?

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Some marcus miller songs if not all have a nice mix between both techs.
    I want to learn this tech to reach my personal goal become a good lead bassist thats all.

7. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh! This video sucks I know!!! I should do the proper version- but you know the thing that annoys me about Classical Thump is that it actually sucks as a piece - it's really not a great bit of music and my sloppy version of it does nothing to change that! I should either take this down or make a new version - but I can't be bothered...I don't practice this and I didn't even try to do it well here - enough excuses.

DT-ing - it's alright I suppose - please don't use this video as a good example though!

Mike

PS

Here's something that's a lot nicer - and a half decent tune/groove:

http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/Plasma.mov

http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/Funk%20Jam.mov

Hope you dig

M

8. Sorry chaps - I've taken this video off - because it's crap!

I'll make another soon - but there are quite a few others on my site so check them out instead.

Thanks for looking - hope it's not too much of a piss-off.

Cheers

Mike

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Do it Mike! Make a new one! Show us what you've got (again :p)!

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Im gonna have to say sorry, I didnt post the right link. U used to have a video of wooten playing the open hammer pluck you know the

G|---------3----------5---------7
    D|---3dt3h5----5dt5h7----7dt7h9-
    A|3h5-------5h7-------7h9-------
    E|--------------------------------

the "dt" between notes means: first note thumb down stroke, second note thumb up stroke.

11. Sorry man - I don't do TAB...I've no idea what that one is - my most recent thing I did was this:

http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/Silly%20Slap.mov

Few of the things on this should keep you busy for a while ;)

Cheers

Mike

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yet again another missunderstood, i meant that wooten was playing. If you show me how to do a pentagram and the notes in a word procesor i could post it for you.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Alright, I think I've figured out the musical usefulness of double thumping. Is it just me, or does it produce a very pick-like sound?
    I decided to practice a bit after hearing "Power" by MM, which is simply amazingly cool and not at all wankish. I can't do it particularly quickly yet but I think one day, I'll be getting there. :D

I semi-slap on a few of my band's songs that I felt needed a percussive-sounding bass line (by semi-slapping I mean I only do slaps but don't do pops as they stand out too much and quickly sound cliché.) I think being able to double-thump a bit may come in handy.

14. the most useful thing with DT-ing is the pick-like quality of the up and down strokes can sound like a softer version of using a pick - which if you work on it can sound really nice - but to be honest I don't use it much now - my band does a version of Prince's 'Kiss' and I use it on the guitar solo section and it sounds really good - bt aside from that I'm using my Matt G 4-finger thing more.

Mike

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Update: I now have a nice blister on my left (for you non-lefties, right) thumb. This was inevitable, I guess. :p

16. Yes and no - be careful - you shouldn't hurt yourself trying to do this too quickly - it will take time for your callous to build up as well - but maybe think about using slightly lighter strings or taking your action down a bit - basically you don't want to be fighting the bass to get this stuff happening, the end results should be played in a relaxed way, try and get some of that laid-back Larry Graham vibe happening - not all tensed up and tight - laid back and fluid is what you should be aiming for.

Keep at it - but don't over do it - it took me at least a couple of years to really get it sounding good - but then you might be quicker than I.

Mike

17. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Well i have a diff problem, my left hand cant follow the speed of the right when i have to move the left hand to reach higher or lower frets so i pretty much have to play a part that is really fast and have a lttle rest.
    Based on your experience Urb, whats better musicaly wise having a fats DT with super fast strokes or keep the groove fluid at same speed somewere under 16ths?

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hey urb, what looper are you using? I'm having a lot of fun listening to the "Funk Jam" video, and I've been wanting to bust into looping for a long time (ever since I first did multi-tracking stuff in Cakewalk about a year into playing.) Beyond being fun, I can't even comprehend the sheer PRACTICE value one would attain.

19. Keeping this stuff in time with the drummer etc is what you should aim for - besides it's a lot harder to play this stuff slowly...I can play ridiculously fast if I want to but aside from a momentary effect that might sound cool for about 2 seconds most other musicians will hear this as pure wanking - you have been warned ;).

Coordinating your hands with any picking style is the hardest part especially when you are muting etc - the key to really developing this style is getting each hand to do different things - i.e. open hammer pluck and all it's variations - but just do scales or riffs or whatever with a single stroke, up or down or a pluck - in conjunction with a note - then mix this up with hammer-ons, pull offs etc - the you'll be cooking. Control over what you play is the ultimate goal here.

BTW Vene - I use a Boss RC20 Phrase Looper - I really like it and the quality is very good - but there are a few others out there like the green Line 6 one, and of course, the top-o-the-line Echoplex things - but I'm happy with my RC 20 - try one out.

Mike

20. +1000

Playing something out of time is worse than useless. But you gotta start somewhere.... so:

1) Just do it, get the mechanics down, don't worry about time/speed. Don't get the metronome out just yet. Spend minimum amt of time here.

2) NOW get the metronome out. Pick any comfortable speed, fast or slow, and now try to play it in time. Even if its the "wrong" speed. Sometimes faster is easier than slow.

3) Now try to play it at appropriate speeds in time.

4) Now try to play it at many speeds, especially uncomfortable ones, in time.

Then you've got it.

Randy