Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

this guy is funny!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Jul 10, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
  2. Handmade???

Yes, someone (most likely some "people") had their hands on it...so I guess that counts. right???

But Custom???
    OK, the dent in the body is a "customisation". So yes, it is custom too..

$249 for a used SX????

What is the world coming to?

Next, thing you'll see is used wishbasses going for $400+

(Oh...wait...I think I've seen that already, too)

UNBELIEVABLE!

3. I've seen used SX basses on TB, but not on eBay yet. He must think it is a "Custom Handmade" because it says it on the headstock. I don't think that particular SX is worth $250 tho...

4. look at this
    same concept. this guy is trying to sell a Korg Ampworks modeling thing for $170. Maybe his is made of pure gold, but the last time i checked these things go new for $60. I suppose they don't mind making money even if they have to rip off a few unsuspecting customers.

5. a 1-minute search on www.bizrate.com reveals this little ripper goin' for $80.

Anyone want to buy my wishbass for $800???? :ninja:

anyone?

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    funny not,stupid is the correct word for him,he may think the bassists don,t know about this basses,stupid

[​IMG]

7. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i've never actually had to deal in any type of franchise equipment cause i make all my gear myself.

what is it that causes everyone to direct so much hate at SX and Wishbass?

8. The fact that SX is so cheap, yet so good and it catches everyone off-guard and they get scared and wishbasses just look so scary...people hate bein scared.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No hate AT SX, but just hate at a seller who's trying to pass off a run of the mill, cheaply made factory bass as a "custom handmade" jobbie used for about twice as much as they sell new.

10. whoa, kinda beside the point... you know, SX is actually the only company that people (on the 'net mind you) seem to "rave" about for being able to upgrade and make good use of halfway-decent wood.... granted i have NOT used one, so i am making an ignorant opinion basically. HOWEVER based on cheap + upgradeable + comparable (to say a cheap squier) these seem to be an ok deal..

wow, i've had too much tequila... :cool:

11. +1

and as for wishbasses go, I don't hate them...I LOVE them...but I'm not gonna sell mine to some poor sucker for twice what I paid for it...and that's the point.

Want to buy my Sadowsky NYC for $10K? If I had one (unlikely), and was selling it (even MORE unlikely), I would STILL not be trying to rip someone off by overcharging on even a top-of-the-line instrument. It's about fair practice.

12. Isn't it possible that he put on a set of $170 magic strings? :ninja:

13. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I can't fault the guy for trying to pull a profit. I wouldn't be able to live with myself passing on a 200% markup for used goods, personally, and that may be why I'm not wealthier.

In the guy's defense, even though it's sleazy business practice, caveat emptor. A simple google search before you bid on ebay can stop an awful lot of this silliness--as has been pointed out, it took a 1 minute search on bizrate to find out the modeler was WAY overpriced.

Anyone who can't be bothered to do that amount of research before plopping down dough probably has more time and money than brains, anyway, and might not care if you told them.

14. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    maybe the hardshell case is really, really, really nice?

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its only worthless if no one buys it.

I've made my share of cash from selling gear for more than it was worth over the years...of course I've BOUGHT way more gear for more than I should have paid too, so I suppose it evens out.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I guess you guys haven't noticed some of the silly asking prices in the TB classifieds. A new ridiculous one is posted almost every day!

17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    While i think having people buy things for way more than they are worth is the main reason people sell things on E-Bay, what this seller is doing it at the most fraud, and at the lease mis-representation. We are all fully aware that the bass is worth, and if he had described it truthfully and started the bidding at $150 (still a decent profit) and someone bid it up to $800, then all the power to him and I hope he enjoys his karma free cash. But the way he described it AND priced it is clearly meant to misrepresent the bass as something more than it is to the unknowing. I had never heard of SX before joining TB, but knew a fair amount about most name brands, and IIRC a friend of Jaquo a while back got hit in exactly this sort of misrepresentation.

18. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    No one has bid yet and the listing has been there for 4 days - looks like the buyers are beware-ing. If the public can keep it up for another 3 days and 1 hours - my faith in humanity will be restored.

19. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I sent a very carefully worded e-mail asking him something to the effect of "do you have no clue, or no shame?" (but I was polite and not acusitory) and included a link to Rondo's web site for the bass. Haven't heard back yet.

20. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

how about the '72 jazz, black, maple with black blocks and binding that I got for 318? I will love myself once i sell it for a 1,000% profit. how about someone that has a 51 p?