this mite of been over asked

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by warwickben, Oct 26, 2004.

1. sorry if this has been asked. i want to know if there a firewire audio interface that has 8 channle and up. like u can record at least 8 channles at once. i know theres tons that u can record 2 channles at once. but i wanan record drums and have all the mics have there own channle.
    iam not sure if iam askign this right i wanan buy some thing that i can connect to my lap top and recored 8 channles at once. iam useing a apple g3 ibook so keep that in mind.
  2. Hi,

Yes, there's the Edirol FA101 which has ten inputs and outputs. Two of the inputs are XLR/TRS neutrik jacks. The only downside I can see is that the input level of some inputs is +4dB which means you need a slightly hotter signal to get a decent recording level.

Info here:

Another decent option is the MAudio 1814 which has 8 inputs rather than 10, but looks very good. It works at -10dB which may be more compatible with most home equipment.

Info here:

Either of these would do a reasonable job. Both of these ought to be reasonably priced. It may also be worth looking out for a used Hard-disk or Minidisc recording option and then mix down to the PC. There wouldn't be much degradation of signal through these, although editing on the PC is a whole lot easier.