Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastik Tailpiece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jneuman, Feb 19, 2005.

1. I wasn'nt sure where to put this, so I started a new thread. Recently, on a whim, I bought a Thomastik tailpiece for my good bass (new German) just to see what it would do. I found a source for a new old stock unit for about $60 dollars so I couldn't pass it up. This is what I found: 1) It's alot cheaper than replacing bad tuners. 2) Its extra mass has improved the sound of my bass dramatically (mainly with arco). It has reduced the basses Wolf tone about 50%. All in all a good thing for my bass. I don't know why these arn't popular anymore. About 25 years ago, they were everywhere. One question I have though is were to put it in relation to the bridge. The tailpiece is shorter than usual and so either the distance from the tailpiece to the bridge is too great, or the lenghth of the tailpiece cable is too long. I opted to follow the directions that came with it which puts the tailpiece to brige lenght at about a major third above the open string which seems to work, although it is not the standard practice. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jon