1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thompson vs. Cecilio CDB-200

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Treybass, May 13, 2010.

1. Treybass

Treybass

Mar 2, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Hi guys!

I'm in the market for a decent plywood upright. Right now, I'm looking at the Thompson, or the Cecilio CDB-200.

Have any of you played these basses? I think the Thompson sounds simply incredible, but I see that a lot of stores are selling the Cecilio for as little as $700. If you have any other recommendations for a beginning upright player, please let me know!

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I don't know anything about the Cecilio, but it seems to be a cheap ply bass sold by mass market on-line dealers. I'd steer clear. It's best to buy a bass from a dedicated bass shop that can provide a quality instrument with a quality setup. The setup is extremely important.

People seem to be happy with the Thompsons. It seems the Shens should be on your list as well. I received an email the other day that Upton has brought back their imported European ply basses. Those have also received very good reviews in the past. Check out as many as you can and buy what speaks to you. Also, check the newbie links here. They contain a wealth of information.

3. Treybass

Treybass

Mar 2, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Thanks! Do you have any clips of the Euro Ply Basses? I can't seem to find any.. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places :)

4. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Check your PMs!

5. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Yeah, interesting! This must be same as the bass I own, manufactured in November 2006. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this, good bass, great value!

laser anneal likes this.
  6. I've have not played a Thompson, nor a Cecilio.

Looking at the Cecilio link you provided, it seems than in their own words they are providing instruments for school aged kids at a budget parents won't choke on. It looks like the double basses are their weakest line. These are probably decent instruments for 10-16 year olds. If you're 18, you might want to just get a better instrument right away, something you won't outgrow so fast.

It's important to find an instrument that matches the player's desires for that instrument. Helpful questions to ask:
    -What kind of music will I be playing on it?
    -Will I be playing mostly pizz or arco? (related to above)
    -Will I be using electronic amplifications and how much? (never, sometimes, always) also related to first question.
    -How seriously will I practice and apply myself on this new instrument?
    -Will this new instrument become my new primary instrument or will it be my secondary, 3rd, 4th or 5th instrument?

Going over what you want the instrument for, why you want it, and what you need it to do, will help you figure out what quality level of instrument will best suit your needs at this time. Re-evaluate each year, as the answers change.

Good luck, and try out as many instruments you can in person. Lay your hands on them!

7. curbucci

curbucci

May 11, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Has anyone had the chance to compare the construction of a Thompson RM-100 to a Shen SB100? Are the Thompson's a solid instrument?

8. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Some here have suggested that the two share a common heritage. ;)

9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    From the look of the pics in the Cecilio link it looks like it will need a good setup.
    Buy your bass from a shop that knows basses and will set it up correctly. Shen would be a good bet, but the Upton looks good as well. See what is available in your area and, if possible, buy locally.

10. wdnewman

wdnewman

Apr 13, 2009
    +1. I decided on the Shen because of perceived re-sale values. More recognizable name, longer history. Also Thompson was having a supply problem at the time.