Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Those days...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ladros2, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    anybody have any advice for getting through days in which you can't seem to make any progress or function as a bassist? i'm on my second one in a row and it's reallly starting to get annoying.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You could always put your bass aside and work on your theory.

3. good idea...

Or work on gear--organizing, cleaning, upgrading, buying new gear....only problem, the new gear part can be addictive and expensive...

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    there are days i dont pick up my bass. those days, im playing my guitar, or im not home....

5. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    i reorganised my whole room, to fit my new amp...

theory eh? any advice on where to start?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Man, I'm auditioning for a killer Groove/Stoner rock gig and usually I can come up with killer riffs left and right... but the past couple of days I've come up with nothing. I don't know what my deal is, I hope the practice (TOMMOROW!) goes better. :(

7. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    You could always do all the scales and arpeggios in every mode in every position. That should keep you busy for a while. ;) Don't worry about "plateau-ing every once in a while. Sometimes the levelling off of creativity can last months, not just days. The important thing to do is play through these times. Then all of a sudden it's like "Who, a breakthrough!" and then it's all good again. Happens to everyone eventually. :bassist:

8. or you can just put down your bass and do something else for a while...listen to music, read a book, mow the lawn...i know many of you are thinking "blasphemy! i can't put my bass down for one minute because i am 100% bass player, and music is my life!!"
    well, just try it...just for at least a few hours or a day or something...nothing more than a day. when you come back, you might have some more inspiration or drive to play.
    but then again, everybody needs something different. i find that if i can't come up with any good music at the moment, i'll play 18 holes of tiger woods golf 2005 or maybe go to the driving range and hit a bucket of balls...something to take my mind off music for a while...then when i come back, i will play something that i may have never thought of before, because i was forcing myself to play...but like i said, this may not work for everyone!

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Depends on what you already know..

10. Often, plateau-ing comes from being accustomed. Do you always practise the same chops? Are you always playing in the same room, with the same chair facing the same window etc??

Try mixing it up a bit - try turning on the radio and playing along as best you can for ear-training. Try writing out all the chord voicings for a certain scale. Maybe transpose your favourite song into another key.

The idea is that the brain becomes tired of the same old routine - you need to challenge yourself to develop as a player.

Good luck ;)