1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts/experiences with Tony Franklin Precision (fretted version)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mingsta, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mingsta

mingsta

Mar 12, 2012
    Has anyone had any experience of the Tony Franklin Precision (fretted version)?

I'm fundamentally after a really good classic P-bass tone, which led me down the path of a passive american standard P-bass. Was trying to find one in a natural finish, and ended up stumbling upon the Tony Franklin PJ model .

I like the fact that its got a switchable P/J rather than a blend knob - is this preferable if you want to get a pure unadulterated P-bass tone and use just the P pickup for 70% of the time? Is there any volume change when switching pickups? Would also be interested to know what the build quality is like, is it on par with the recent Fenders (which I understand to have improved in quality)?

I'm gonna have to move on my Sadowsky Metro HPJ4 to fund this. Its a great instrument but in many ways it fills the same slot as my go-to Stingray 4HH (both active, same color, rosewood board) and I've also now realised that I prefer the thicker neck of a 'Ray/P-bass. Am I mad to be selling this on?

2. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    mingsta, if you'll search "Tony Franklin" on this forum, you'll find 2 or 3 really good threads that answer your questions in detail.

These are great basses, I've had mine since 2009.

The 'Cliff Notes' replies to your questions are: Not necessarily; No; Great; Better.

I really like the PU selector as it quickly provides three distinct, useful sounds. I've had both setups and like it better than the blend knob but some players prefer the latter.

Check out the other threads and you'll probably end up buying one...;)

3. mingsta

mingsta

Mar 12, 2012
    Cheers WoodyJ!

I'm in the same camp as you. I have a stingray 4HH with a 5 way selector which I love, but haven't got on so well with the blend knob on my Sadowsky HPJ - I guess I like to have it pretty simple.

I get the feeling that this could be the one - its got nitro finish, passive, PJ config and reputed to have good build quality.

4. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    TF's aren't easy to find in the usual music stores, I found mine at the Atlanta Bass Gallery, a local bass boutique. When I saw and played it, I was hooked.

The bridge pickup on these is either a DiMarzio or a Fender version of a DiMarzio, It is hotter than a normal Jazz PU and solves the PU balance problem of most P/J basses.

Mine, with TI Jazz Flats...:hyper:

DSCN2173.jpg

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021