1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

thoughts on a light 5-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjd, Jan 25, 2012.

1. kjd

kjd

Aug 12, 2008
    Hey All,

Long time lurker and reader, seldom do I post, but I have a dilemma of sorts:

Currently playing a Schecter Elite 5 through a Genz-Benz shuttle 6.0T. Very happy with the amp, but being as transparent sounding as it is, my bass sounds... a little boring through it. Before the Genz-Benz, I played through a G-K, which, while underpowered, had a tone that I liked.

In addition to lacking great tone, the Schecter feels HEAVY. The 35" neck and shorter upper horn have made finding a comfortable playing position a chore. Either wear it up high and contort my arm to play the low frets, or wear it lower and lose fretting precision in the middle or higher frets.

So all of this is to say that my upcoming tax refund has me GASing for a new bass. What would you all recommend in the 1000-1500 range, new or used, thats not so heavy and sounds pretty good. I play a lot of styles, mostly blues, rock, and R&B. Not much into slapping, but a string spacing wider than the schecter might be nice.

Looking forward to your input!:bassist:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    My Lakland 55-01 is pretty darn light, and it FEELS way lighter than most.

3. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I'd keep an eye out for a used Spector NS-5H2 - surprisingly light, but nice meaty tone.

4. This raises the question for the OP....what do you think of as "light"?

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    basswood body

6. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    My MPG Level 5 is the lightest 5-string I have owned, at 8.5 pounds. There is an MPG Level 5 (not mine) in the Classifieds right now that is, apparently, even a little lighter than mine. And with a beautiful spalted top, matching headstock, and birdseye board. And it's in your price range.

Matt Pulcinella makes very fine basses!

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have one of those too! Yes it is very light. The Lakland balances better, though. Plus there is a HUGE gap in the price difference...about a $1500 difference...but yes, Spector if you can swing it.

As a comparison my drummer has a Stingray 5....that thing feels like a boat anchor tied around my neck.

8. kjd

kjd

Aug 12, 2008
    good question. i stepped on the scale with the schecter last night and the scale said 9.2 pounds, although it feels much closer to 10.

so really, anything less than 9 pounds, if well balanced.

9. kjd

kjd

Aug 12, 2008
    that MPG looks killer. if it had block inlays (i like the look and visual reference of inlays), i'd pull the trigger.

10. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    I have a Tobias renegade five string that weighs less than 8lbs, I really like the tone from the Barts, but I found the old Bart preamp a bit noisy. I have a two band Glockenklang pre to put in it one day when I have the time.