1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Framus upright basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by fuzzy beard, May 28, 2012.

1. What do you all think about Framus upright's? More so the Stradaverous copy's.

Are they any good?

Did they come in 1/2 size?

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Type "Framus" into the search function. There's a ton of stuff that's been posted.

3. I have. And there is a lot of things that pop up. Most for electric bass. And nothing about 1/2 size Framus basses.

Is there another keyword I should use?

4. Why do you want a half-size?

5. It has been offered in a trade. I am looking for info on it.

6. Judging by the picture, which is kind of tough to do, it's what is known as a "Joe German" bass. A factory-made instrument, probably serviceable but nothing to write home about. The rosewood fingerboard tells me it's a cheap bass.

May I ask how much trade value you'd have in it? Is there a luthier you could bring it to for a look-see before finalizing the trade?

7. Trade value I would say 700 to 900. And he told me he has just had it set up finger board planned and sound post adjusted.

He is a member here. Should be getting more pic tomorrow.

8. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Here is a link to the Framus vintage Website. http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/site/site.php# I will forward pictures and any further information you can provide to the curator of the Framus Museum in Markneukirchen, Germany. They are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this era of basses. Thanks!

9. I might be missing it but that list of uprights doesn't go back past 1972.

10. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have played a few and they are your usual factory German ply bass. That is the standard label I have seen in the ones I have played.

If it is a 3/4 bass in good condition seems like a reasonable deal.

11. It is a 1/2 size.

12. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    We're on record saying that we think 1/2 sized basses are a bad idea. The question comes up now and again because they are hard to sell and thus people are tempted by what they see as deals. There's a 1/2 size floating around my family and I don't think that the brand is going to make that much difference one way or another.

If you really want a 1/2 size, I wouldn't get caught up in the fact that it's a Framus. Get it checked out and make sure there are no issues with it, negotiate, because, as I said, they are tough to sell and go for it.

If you're looking to get into doublebass, then walk away and look for a 3/4 bass.

13. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1!

14. First I want to thank you for taking the time to help me out. Second I was wondering if any one could share a link to some info as to why a 3/4 bass would be better. But I understand completely about the hard resale. Thanks again.

15. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The best source that I know of on the internet is here:

http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Beginner's_Guide_to_buying_a_Double_Bass

But you have to consider the source.

You may also check on Ken Smith's bass forums. I don't if they've addressed this issue or not, but it's the only other source that I know of credible experts sharing on-line. Smaller group, but Ken keeps unfounded opinions from being presented as fact over there. The people posting, opinionated as they might be, know what they're talking about.

Sorry to tell you what you don't want to hear. It depends on your goals. If you want to take up this instrument as an adult, it's not a recommended path. If it's just a wild hair, go for it, but know that you may have trouble reselling it.

16. Bigger box + greater string length = more sound, which you'll find is a constant battle with DB. Plus, your avatar makes you look like a big guy. You'd look like a linebacker riding a moped.

17. I am interested in upright bass. I am not currently shopping for one. I have a few items for sale or trade and listed upright as a item I would consider.

The first upright offered needed to much work. It was a 3/4 eingelhardt.

Then I was offered this one by a talkbass member. So I started to try to find info about it. Among the info I have gotten was the common dislike for 1/2 size basses. I am just not for sure why?

I mean no disrespect! I under stand you all know way more than me about uprights. But I am a person who ask why. I have a hard time with answers like because that's the way it is.Lol

So with all respect outside of resale why is a 3/4 better than a 1/2.

18. Well you got this in while I was writing.LOL

As for size I am 5'8 and a broad 240. With short arms and a big head. LOL.

The volume was somethin I had considered. Is there that much defferance?