Threads on Schaller straplocks different than original screw on strap button

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tcbassplayer, Jan 4, 2018.

1. tcbassplayer

tcbassplayer

Mar 13, 2016
    Greetings... advice PLEASE....

2018 Gibson SG Bass. Want to install Schaller straplocks, but the threading on the replacement button is ever so slightly thinner than the original screw.
    I was told by more than 1 person that a small drop or 2 of epoxy before using the new screw would insure a tight bond.

Anyone have thoughts on that? And I appreciate the help in advance!

Terry

2. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    Epoxy would probably work well but I put a toothpick in the hole and cut it off a little less than flush and put it in the screw hole bigger end first and then install the straplock. I always use round toothpicks for this and I have never had a problem with them loosening up . The benefit of using this method is the screws can be removed without any problems should you want to install different straplocks.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i vote for Al T. 's method! should work fine!

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Coat the toothpick with a little wood glue and install the screw while the glue is still wet. The screw acts like a clamp and ensures a good bond.

96tbird likes this.
  5. tcbassplayer

tcbassplayer

Mar 13, 2016
    TOOTHPICK!!!! Well holy crap..... the other method I had heard was using a real thin dowel. THAT would accomplish the dowel thing! Geez.

JRA likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yep: my family calls toothpicks "real thin dowels." :D

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Since the screw is only slightly smaller, I would use a flat toothpick coated in glue, screw the strap lock on while the glue is still wet. You won't even need to wait for the glue to dry - it will be useable right away.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

They are dowels.

9. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Just a quick thought: does the original screw happen to fit through the straplock button? If so, problem solved.

mech and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022