Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 24, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hey Nickthebassist, Nanner nanner!

Pulled my Thumb 5 BO out yesterday and I haven't put it down...for long. The body shape is hard to get used to while wearing a strap, but I'm adjusting. The neck is so much longer than what I'm used to. The NT preamp in it sounds great. That doesn't mean that I'm still not toying with the idea of trading it for a Stingray or Warwick Streamer (I like the shape and electronics better). I've got my first gig with it next weekend, can't wait.

~Patrick

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thumb = sound great, balance...not so great.

Basically to anyone who is thinking of buying one, whats more important to you, sound or comfort? :p

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Heh, I went and played the thumb at GC today. God I love that thing. Patrick if you're serious we need to talk :).

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    it all depends on where it hangs. i have my stomach right in the cutout and it balances fine.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes the thumb was designed to be played at chest height, which is where it balances properly.

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my thumb balances fine regardless. I either wear it real high or real low but ive never had a problem witih it at all. Of course if you play a bass a few times in a store your gonna notice a huge difference compared to whatever bass you play currently, but im telling everyone they def could get used to it. Thumbs for everyone.

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    The neck on the Thumb isn't any longer than any other bass. The problem is that the upper horn is shorter than on most.

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    it is, in fact, longer than 30" and 32" scale lenght and shorter than 35" scale (you can order any of those scale leghts in any B.O. model of warwick)

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    OK, I'll buy that, but neck length is not the issue on the Thumb.

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Thumb = Good!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love mine!!

11. thats good and all..

but nick wants to know if it growls!?! :D

12. It's kool u like it Patrick! They are awesome basses! And Mark Beem, you Thumb is such a gorgeous shape! If you look at an NT, and a bolt on, they're often totally different.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They are, but i think his is a bolt on, just like yours (?)