Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thumb Rests

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Nov 14, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well I just finished building my new 5 string. It has a single Music Man pick up. I played it for the very first time and I kept getting cramps :eek: in my "picking finger". I remembered why I sold my MM Sterling. I am thinking about adding a Thumb Rest instead of selling my new bass. I have a solid Mahogony body and all chrome hardware. I do not want to put some cheapy plastic thumb rest on it. Does anyone have any unique suggestions? Thanks for the help! :help:

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Make one out of wood?

3. Get a piece of Mahogony and shape it the way you want it and WHAM matching thumbrest.

I plan to do that with a Warwick. The distributor sent me a piece of Ovangal wood which is a perfect match.

4. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Any reason to prefrence wood over Metal?

5. Easier to make i spose, unless you want to machine one :p

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What about cutting one from Ebony?

7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Where would you get a chunk of Ebony like that?

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Wood looks subtler imo but metal isn't terribly difficult to work with with the right tools, I just remember a lesson I was told a few years ago: Remember with metal, the percentage of component time spent on finishing is several times higher than that of wood, that is what makes it such a pain. Also, polished metal finger prints like mad, you'd want to satin finish it or sand blast it. I think wood would look cool :).

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have found a couple of places that sell a chrome thumb rest for about $15, but I am liking the idea of a wood one. Round too, but I don't know how I would secure it down to the body. I would like to use a Mahogony Volume knob, but I think I would not like a screw head sticking through it. :confused:

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sure Larry would be a great guy to ask http://www.galleryhardwoods.com/

11. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    You could check Rob Allens Bass site. He sells exotic wood thumbrest to put on his basses. I'm sure they would work on this one.

12. +1

He gets $25.00 for the fender style thumbrest and $50.00 for a custom shape

[​IMG]

13. I tooled one myself out of an ebony drawer handle. It worked great! Took it off though cause I didn't really like it. Just get out a chissle, file, and some sandpaper and have fun!

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Those are really great looking.

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm a P/J bass guy adjusting to the MM pickup location at the moment as well, and I'm also considering a thumbrest, but I found so far that switching to a more flexible (or lighter guage) string allows me to play confortably with my thumb on the pickup. Also, a lot of "that MM tone" seems to come from plucking closer to the bridge.

Just a note. My sterling is so cherry I don't really want to violate it with any modifications ... so I'm going to try to adjust without.

16. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I found an ebony baby grand piano key and cut it in half lengthwise. It has a nice rounded edge and feels much better than plastic. You can make it any length you want, but I left it the original length. I cut it down so that it is the same height as the pickup.

You can't see much detail in this photo, but you get the idea:
    [​IMG]

17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a friend that may have a couple of small blocks of Black Walnut. That would work. I do not know if I want to go with a "Traditional" thumb rest style though. Are thumb rests the height of the strings or the pickups? I would think that if they are too tall they would kind of get in the way??

18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well I have 2 very nice pieces of Black Walnut.
    DOes anyone know what a proper height or size of these things are? I have never had one and have no real idea

19. Whatever feels most comfortable for you. I like mine to be at about string height or maybe a little below. If you like putting your thumb on the pickup, just make it pickup height. It just needs to be tall enough to give you enough support. Doesn't need to be taller than .5 inch.

20. My thumb rests, which are coco bolo. Are stuck on with double stick tape you can buy at the hardware store. The thin kind. THis seems to work quite well. It allows the option of moving it around to find the right spot and replacing it. I got this hint from Joe Zon. It sure beats drilling holes in the top of the bass. Particularly my Rob Allen which has a thin top.