Thumpy Bass Recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Dec 4, 2021.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I tried a search but couldn't find an existing thread about great thumpy bass recordings.
    I'm thinking of bass that moves the song, thumps, thuds, walks, rumbles, etc. without sizzle, hiss, click, or clank. Not that there's anything wrong with bright bass tones, but I'd love to see a thread for all of us thump lovers out there.
    Of course there are classics that already get a lot of praise here on talkbass, but if you know some lesser-known stuff, some deep cuts, even better! New or old, let's hear it.

I'll start it off with a newer one. Love the bass on this. May not be anything groundbreaking or revolutionary, just the perfect thumpy groove for the song, in my opinion.

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Besides most Dub recordings?:D
    I nominate this moldy oldie, best heard on a Seeburg jukebox, at the Rec Center, by the pool, and not on computer speakers or a cell phone…

mellowgerman likes this.
  3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I am not good at describing bass tones but this tome seems to be Thumpy:

mellowgerman likes this.
  4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah I was going to say anything Paul McCartney

mellowgerman and FunkHead like this.
  5. Michedelic

Gotta love English compressors…

The guitarist on the right, with the white shirt, is Dick Taylor, the Rolling Stones’ original bass player. PT bass is John Stax.

mellowgerman likes this.
  6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Very nice. New to me!

7. Michedelic

The Pretties(named after a Bo Diddley song)were yet another Brit band from that time period that just never got any traction over here, like The Creation, The Move, The Birds, plus I would even say the Small Faces(in spite of/with the exception of,“Itchycoo Park”), as they all had a bunch of hits in the UK/Europe, but zilch in the US. The Who meant nothing in the US until 1967, and that early stuff was epic. The PT gigs were, in their day, wilder than the Stones, almost punk rock anarchy. David Bowie covered a couple of their tunes on his Pinups album, they technically produced/released the very first full rock opera album (S.F.Sorrow), and in the 70’s were on Led Zeppelin’s Swan Song label.

They were still active up until 2018; two years later lead vocalist Phil May died.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    mellowgerman likes this.
  8. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    Every time I think Pretty things, this is the song I recall

Not so thumpy though, more pushed

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022