1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Thumpy" bass sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mover91, May 23, 2011.

1. mover91

mover91

Jul 23, 2010
    I've been working on learning "I Can Talk" by Two Door Cinema Club, and I can't really figure out how to get the sound that the bass has in the song.
    I'm pretty new at bass so I'm not entirely sure thumpy is the right word. I'm just not sure how to set up my amp/tone knob for that.
    I've got a SX Ursa 1 (P bass) with their practice bass amp, so there might be nothing I can do about it with such a basic amp, but I definitely appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks!

2. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    I am not sure, but it sounds like P+Flats+Pick to me.

Try rolling off your tone knob quite a bit, play with a pick, boost the mids on your amp and you might get pretty close.

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Just listened to it -- it sounded kind of synthy (sp?) to me. I looked it up and the band does have a bass guitarist, but I think he's playing with his effects -- maybe an envelope filter? The one picture I found of the band shows him playing a jazz, not a p, but maybe that's not what he used on this particular song. In general, though, I'd say makkE has the right idea.