Thunderfunk (again) or AI Focus?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hrothgar, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    I ordered an Acoustic Image Focus to try out, it should be here any day. But I'm hearing all this talk of the Thunderfunk. I'm starting to wonder which would be better for me right now.

I play a lot of jazz, fusion, and funk, but my main gig right now is with a metal band. I'm not sure if the Focus will have the sound I'm looking for. And since I can't try out a TF, I thought I'd ask some people with more experience with these amps.

BTW, I'm running the amp with a Berg HT/EX Stack.
  2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Personally, I really like the TFunk and Berg mini-stack. It's my fave SS head - hands down.

I've not tried the Focus, but imo the TFunk would better suit your types of music.
  3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    It will be very interesting to hear your review of the Focus. from all I've read, the TF would be a great choice. I am very tempted to pick one up, but I am also a bit enamored with the Mesa M Pulse 600 lately. A local Bass hero plays one and gets AMAZING deep, rich full tones without losing focus or clarity. He LOVES his Mesa Heads. I use an Ashdown ABM500 EVO that I have been VERY happy with, but I'm going to do an A-B comparison.

Back to the thread, I believe there is a trial period with the Thunderfunk amps.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
  5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have not tried the Thuderfunk, but I own the AI Focus and the AMP amp on which the Thunderfunk is based.

Based on the type of music you are playing, I would recommend the Thunderfunk. I know that the AMP (BH-420?) does agressive better than the Focus.
  6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I haven't played through the Acoustic Image Focus but if you've already ordered it, and it's comes with a trial period, check it out and see what you think. You could also order the TFB-420 on a trial period and let the best amp win! :)

I will say this though, I've owned many, many high end amps, none have made me smile as big as the Thunderfunk! :D
    IMO you'd be making a mistake if you don't at least check one out.
  7. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    I may just have to do that! And I've heard so much about TF I know I can't go wrong (it'll save me about 400 bucks too! :D ). I don't really have the money to order both at the same time, though, so I'd really like to hear from somebody who has heard both. Thanks guys!
  8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    You wanna save another $300? GK 1001RB-II. I've owned the AI, the TF and now the GK.Will do everything the TF will with more power and $300 less. The AI is wimpy sounding! There are many stores with generous return policies on the GK, you should check it out before you blow your dough!