Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ThunderFunk Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reefer, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    These are really good sounding amps. Just thought I'd share this with everyone.
    http://www.thunderfunk.com

They are listed on eBay also.

2. Is A.M.P the same company as ThunderFunk?

Glenn

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Woefully underpowered for today's demands (e.g., B string, slap n' pop, etc)....don't you think ????

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Reefer,

Do you own one of these? what does the Timbre control do?

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Depends on what you're driving. I'm using a 400w @4ohm AMP BH-420 to drive two 8ohm Nahas cabs and it works great. Underpowered? Hardly.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hi Brad,

What's the Timbre control for?

7. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I'm using the Gibson version of this same amp (GB440). I've had it for a couple of weeks and so far really like it. My Ashdown ABM 300 has the benefit of a tube preamp for some grind, but for half the money the Gibson/A.M.P./ThunderFunk amps are great.

I got mine used for $350, and it's not underpowered at all. ...and, it's only 19 lbs. If I need more power, I can just run the line out to my PLX1602 :bassist:

I don't know the full history of these, but A.M.P. was the original manufacturer. Then there was a Gibson version, and now these ThunderFunks are showing up.

oh yeah, I guess the timbre is like a presence or similar. I just tweaked it till it sounds good to my ear (mine's at -1). I run the EQ mostly flat, like an Eden.

8. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    thats the coolest name for an amp... ever. so they sound good, eh?

9. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    timmy tucker,
    It's a cool name, it helps that the guy's last name is Funk.

todd 4ta and Brad,

My AMP BH-260 has a tonal balance, is that a different name for your "timbe" control?

rickbass,

I've used my BH-260 on outdor gigs to power my 112 + 115 set-up with PA support. It's very loud in most all situations. I imagine the 400 watt versions are just gravy on top of that. it's light and simple. I like it so well i'm thinking of upgrading it to the output specs of the BH-420 for the extra headroom.

FungusHumungous,

todd 4ta has it right,

Russ Allee had the most to do with the design of the A.M.P. heads. He later designed the Gibson GB-440 and I believe the Eden WT-300. Dave Funk is hand assembling the ThunderFunk amps. Dave is probably best noted for his hand-built tube guitar amps.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If it's comparable to something like "EBS watts", that's cool.

11. Interesting....

At last night's gig, a gentleman approached me when we finished playing. He mentioned that he noticed my gear & my playing and was compelled to 'shoot the shiite' with me. He was a bass player, makes his living dealing equipment, & was a rep for a few different equipment manufacturers. We talked about the A.M.P., Gibson, Steve Rabe, Tobias, etc.

Considering the history of this amp, the fact that people say it sounds good flat (eq), and that Brad even likes them ( ;) ), I'd bet these amps are absolute gems. :)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's as good an explanation as any, Rick. I've opened mine up, seen the large cap and clean design, no magic dust, no fairies... I can't explain why it sounds like it does.

And I bought two of them;)

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They are indeed, bimp.

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The "timbre" and "tone balance" controls on AMP/Gibson/Thunderfunk amps are a bass and treble control on one pot. CW you get more treble and less bass, CCW more bass and less treble.

The idea is that it lets you make quick adjustments for rooms where the tone is too thin or too muddy. I use it a lot. Turn it to 10:00 and it's instant "old school" tone, 8:00 is the secret Robbie Shakespeare setting :D I've only used the CW settings when the room is a tonal mudpit.

Fender resurrected the idea on the Bassman 400, they call it "room balance". I've also seen a similar circuit on old Vox bass amps where it's called "Tone-X".

The Thunderfunks are being built using NOS parts he bought from Gibson. The first ones were labelled Gibson because he got some enclosures in the deal, once he used them all up he had new enclosures made up with the Thunderfunk name. Nice to see a cool amp still being made and at a great price, too.

16. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Brian,
    Dave Funk told me that the new ones were under the TunderFunk name because he ran out of power supplies. Dave had to get power supplies made and can no longer use the Gibson name since they the gutts are no longer all Gibson parts. If you look on the back of the ThunderFunk you'll see there's no place for the switcable voltage like on the Gibson's.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Whatever the reason it's nice to see a great amp back in production.

18. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Dave also told me that as the NOS Gibson parts run out he'll have new parts made, so these amps should be around for awhile. $549 has been the reserve on the ones listed on eBay. Quite a deal for a really good amp.

19. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I've been lurking for the past few weeks. I've learned a lot from you guys. Muchos grassy ass!

My ThunderFunk is due to arrive today. I've doubled on bass for most of the past 35 years or so. I've never had a really great rig. I'm playing bass with a local blues/R&B band and my Nemesis 2-10 just wasn't keeping up.

I can't wait to try the Thunderfunk at practice tomorrow night. Right now, I'm using a Genz 1-12T cab. It seems a little tubby on the bottom. I'm not sure whether I'll keep it. It's probably a good practice cab to keep in my shedding space and just take the head home with me after practice.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great info.
    I'm not worthy... I'm not worthy...

20. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Post a report after you get a chance to play through it!!