1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ThunderFunk or Fafner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by willrwilli, Nov 21, 2006.

1. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I currently have an EBS Fafner that has been a great amp. I love the tone, and the features of this head. I am looking for something smaller and lighter, and want to know if anyone has any experience with both of these amps. The Thunderfunk is the only thing I am considering at this time.

2. I've owned the TD650, which from what I understand is relatively similar to the Fafner when the tube drive is engaged.

The TF will be louder into 4ohms, and will have much more mid definition. The Fafner is much more tube warm and can get more grindy though... the TF is a 'clean machine'.... so quite different there... it stays totally clean through its entire power range.

3. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    The Fafner can be very clean too, with plenty of mid-bite. IMO it`s a very versatile amp.

4. +1... did not mean to imply the Fafner could not get clean... but rather that the TF will not do the tube growl thing when pushed like the Fafner(TD650) will.:)

5. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Just wanted to say I got a new Thunderfunk directly from Dave yesterday. I am using it with a Bergantino HT 322 cabinet, and this rig is a BEAST. I am going to gig with it at church, and I will post my results.

6. Lakebass

Lakebass

Jun 6, 2006
    DFW, Texas
    Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing your post on the results.

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, TFB 550 and a 322... that's GOTTA be killer!!!

P.S. I love my TFB... :)

8. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yes let us know what you think. I have a TFunk into HT112\EX112 and it is awesome...

9. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1 on the TFunk TFB-550B & Berg 112 cabinets!

I got my TFB-550 6 months ago and the blend with the Berg cab's is just unbelievable!:bassist:

The search for the perfect rig is OVER!:smug:

10. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Here is my initial feedback about the Thunderfunk / ht322 combo, it was booming. At our church we play in a corner, so it is hard to get a true feel. Usally my drummer says he can feel me, but not hear me. Today he could hear and feel me loud and clear. As a joke Itold him I didn't like the Thunderfund and was going to return it and he said he would kill me in the church parking lot.

What was strange for me was I always hear about running the amp flat with a few tweaks. That was far from the case for me. Using an MTD 635 I had to set the enhance on 10, and with the first parametric with the top flat and boosted to the 3:00 position. As extreme as that sounds it seemed to work.

11. Cool! Nice rig. Actually, the TF enhance is pretty subtle. If by 10, you mean 10 o'clock, that's actually a nice setting for cabs that have a little 'mid honk' to them (although that's not how I hear the HT322 at all).

Regarding the semi parametric... there is no 'flat' on the top knob (the frequency knob), only on the bottom knob, where 'flat' means no cut or gain. The 'straight up' frequency on the first semi parametric is 50 hz... so you are adding some deep bass.

I bet it sounds great!

Enjoy!

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Actually, I would not classify the TF as "clean". I also have a SWR SM500 and recently A/Bed the two for sheetz and giggles and the SWR was far more clean. So clean that it was brittle and thin compared to my TF. The TF was much more warm and thick.

13. I would agree.... I was more using the term 'clean' in referrence to the Fafner. While the Fafner can get nice and crisp and clean also, it can snarl and growl given the tube pre. While the TF is warm and fat, as you point out, it in no way will break up or growl and grunt like some amps.

+1 on the SWR thing also.... brittle is how I hear them also (at least that particular head).

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    He didn't mean "clean" from a tonal perspective, he meant it from a lack of distortion perspective. The TFB is very specifically designed to avoid any kind of overdrive or other type of "distortion"... even the mild "edge" overdrive some amps use to get a certain growl or bite. That's what he was getting at.

EDIT: oops, see I was too late... never mind. :)

15. Actually, you said it better than I did:)

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You both are correct :D !!!