Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk TF420 vs. Aguilar AG500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by michele, Aug 16, 2004.

1. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I know the Aggie is a new entry in AmpliLand but I'd like to hear from you, lucky guys, who tried 'em both. Comparison made with small cabinets are expecially welcome!

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    consider me perked

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Should be an interesting comparison.

I've only had limited exposure to the TF-420 and none to the AG-500 (except what little I've read here on TB).

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Bump - This is an interesting shoot-out to say the least.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Haven't been able to try out the Aguilar 500 but I played an Elrick 5 through an Aguilar 750 & Aguilar 4-10 and the sound knocked me out. I bought an Elrick based on the way it played and how it sounded through the Aguilar. When the Elrick arrived and I plugged it in my SWR SM500 & Mesa M-Pulse I really had to do some EQ tweaking to dial in a sound close to what I had in my head from the Aguilar (and I stress "close"). For what it's worth the M-Pulse came much closer than the SWR. When my Thunderfunk arrived last week it was instant heaven when I plugged the Elrick in the Thunderfunk! And that's though a 2-10 SWR. Not only does it have that warm buttery sound but it has IMO better note definition. Obviously the Aguilar 500 is a different design but when an amp 1/3 the price of the Aguilar 750 holds it own, I'm impressed.
    I know this isn't the comparison that your wanting but hopefully it's of some value. :)

6. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Thanks Jome77, I know it'll be difficult to find someone that tested both amps 'cause as I've said the AG500 is a "new entry" ... however, at the moment I appreciate ;) !

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I checked the AG500 out at Summer NAMM, hardly the place to get a real idea of what it's capable of.

I've been gigging with a TFB420 for a few months now, still haven't touched the EQ except to show others how it works. couldn't be happier with this amp. I've paraded a pretty wide variety of basses and cabs through it and they all sound great.

8. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Has anyone played an AG500 at a rehersal or gig? Would really like to hear about it. Comparing it to the thunderfunk or Iamp would be great; but would just like to get impressions of the amp.
    I know some guys on TB must have this amp, because the dealers that I called got their initial shipments and sold out right away!

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? :bassist:

9. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    I've read that some of you guys are checkin' out the AG500 so maybe it's time to put this thread on the top! Anyone?

10. clarksouter

clarksouter

Aug 12, 2004
    Artist-Warrior Basses, Artist for T.C. Electronic Bass Equipment
    I would say that the Thunderfunk TFB 420 is the best amp I have ever played through in 20 years of bass. And compared with the Aguilars I have played through in the past it is just simpler to get great tone from, and all at 15lbs! As for the new solid state Aguilar I am not familiar with it, but I only have huge praise for the TFB 420, Simple light and inexpensive compared to all Aguilars. C-

11. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Please, I don t know anything about thunderfunk amps. Do you have website about il?

12. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    www.thunderfunk.com

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I am getting my AGUILAR AG500 tomorrow!!!

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congrats! :)

We would like a post-gig review ASAP. :hyper:

Thanks! :bassist:

15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Cool!
    After you play it at some gigs give us a review!

16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I just received my AG500 today and let me say. This little amp smokes. AGUILAR really did something special here. Yes it is solid state but it is really warm!! I am going to rehearsal tonight I will let all know how it does. I thought 500 watts was not enough but this thing sounds louder than my AMPEG SVT 4 pro did.

17. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Please, can you discribe us the tone of this amp?
    clear, smooth, punchy??? What about the other amps you had before?

thanx

18. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Crystal clear with a nice punchy woody growl in channel 1. As for channel 2 = buzzsaw distortion to old school grind. I also had DB750 and they sounded very similar as far as punch and clarity!

19. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I wanted to bump this older thread as I am considering one of these amps to possibly downsize/lighten my rig.

I am begining to think of the Aguilar AG500 vs the Thunderfunk.

I currently play through an Ashdown RPM-1 into a bridged QSC PLX 1602 and while it is nice, it is a lot to lug around and 1600W is almost overkill in a lot of places.

I had an Aggie DB659 at one point and found it to be too wooly in the lows. Does the AG500 have this as well?

I am bumping too because of the recent larger threads on the Aggie AG500.

-KB