Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk vs. EBS Fafner or HD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hman, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Well....Thunderfunk owners...anyone has experiences with both...GASing for a thunderfunk badly :help:

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played all three (older Fafner, HD350, TFB420). Being the opportunistic bastid I am, I jumped on a deal on a used ThunderFunk.

And now I am biased;)

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow. There is such a thing as a used TFB420? Are they as rare as a used AMP BH420?

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Very tough to find either one. I bought the first and only used ThunderFunk I've come across.

A friend of mine recently put her AMP BH-420 up on Bassgear.com. It was like new. I'd guess it's already gone by now. I have two. I'm pretty sure I'll have two for a loooong time;)

5. Unfortunately, I have not seen any used ones either. Actually I did, but it was an older one without a speakon and I didn't like the price.

There's a new one on ebay, but the starting bid is $850. Not much of a deal, and it may end up higher than retail. :meh:

EDIT: It was on harmony-central, BTW. I just checked it again and the ad says:

Wow, that's pretty outdated. I would prefer one of the newer versions, which have upgraded components. But the ad was posted back in April and is definitley gone by now anyway.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Mine has a speakon AND it's signed by Dave... which as far as I understand adds about 14 watts.

7. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I can only blame Brad...I got a Thunderfunk coming my way :help: Will give a comaprison to the EBS Fafner later. :cool:

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That will get those subs going! :D ;)

9. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    btw...where do you guys buy your rack bag :help:

10. I'll be looking forward to your review. Overall I am very pleased with my Fafner and it's proven to be a real solid workhorse. However, the only thing that has held me back on the TFB-420 is the need to drive a 2ohm load on occasion. I seem to remember 4ohm minimum.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You'll hate me for this:

My wife bought a Roland GR-50 guitar syntheziser. It's a rack mount piece, in great shape. It came in a nice 3 space soft rackbag.

I should mention that my wife doesn't play any instruments and found this at Goodwill...

for $25

:bassist:

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You may be blaming him now but you'll be thanking him later! ;)

13. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    it never fails...I think you'll have to be related to Brad Johnson to get deals around here :crying:

14. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA

Just plug it in..so far so good...need to play a little more and a gig tomorrow to determine the result ;)

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Good luck.

16. I am totally happy with my Fafner..

I can get every tone I desire and it doesnot colour the sound of my bass unless i use the hi treb switch and bass switch...as they are filters...

But its great coupled with my Proline 2000 Cab its my dream setup..

right next to an all valve Trace Elliot Stack.!!!

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    So, how does it compare...?

:D

18. For the record, according to Dave Funk, the TFB-420 can drive a 2 ohm load, but it won't produce much additional power and he doesn't recommend it.

So it seems like there's no point in doing it then since you won't be producing much more volume by adding another cab. Have you tried this though Brad? Also, the manual says it will void the warranty if you do it (but that's probably outdated).

Sean

19. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I played my TF a little more last night...here is what I think so far. It has a old school feel to me.....great slap tone with my Fender jazz and Nordie basses. Lots of punch fingerstyle too! Got some of the Brother Johnson style to me..I think it's plenty loud eonugh....so far just a home. Will see after a gig tonight. I love the enhance and timber switches. they are awesome! Just a little turn gives you many tone options. No clue about the EQ section yet...since Brad not touching them too :eek: :confused: :help:

Comparing to my EBS Fafner....the Fafner is more hifi. lot more power. In a way, you can dial in a very similar tone, cuz that's what I like anyway.

I played thru the Epi 1 x 12 and Accugrove 1 x 12. both cab sounds great with the TF. The Epi has a little more bottom than the Accugrove. I'll bring both to the gig and test them. Will give a better report later :cool:

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If I did and it voids the warranty, do you think I'd admit it here?

:eyebrow:

JUST KIDDING;)

I've only run it with a minimum 4 ohm load, either one or two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm. The only "issue" I had with my AMP BH-420 was less efficient cabs causing it to warm up. With the fan on the TF it stays cool no matter how hard I've pushed it.