1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderfunk vs Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MEKer, Sep 5, 2008.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Which one-hmmmm-which one?
    Is there an ease of use difference? Construction? A big deal tonal color capability difference? One handles effects better in a truly audible manner? I realize the bass and cab makes a difference, but assuming a generic Fender P and lets say some "regular" 4x10 and 1x15---just trying to get a standard here--which one is more broadly applicable for the words "overall a tad better!" ?
    Please try and be as objective as possible on, admittedly, a subject thats easy to be subjective towards. Maybe there is really no such answer--I don't know having never had either one and none around here to try out--but man they sure seem appealing.
    At some point I plan on getting some real power, either a T-Funk or a Mesa--gawd what a choice to make! :meh:

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Which Mesa amp did you have in mind? They have 6 different heads currently, and that doesn't count several others that are widely available on the used market, like the 400+. What's your budget? What type of sound are you looking for or what genre(s) do you play? Sorry to respond back with a bunch of questions, but you'll get better answers if you're more specific.:)

Mystic Michael likes this.
  3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Your right. Lets go with hard rock to metal sound. 750 to 1200 watts.

4. xampworshipx

xampworshipx

Jul 13, 2008
    the mesa 400+ is getting to be almost the standard for metal bands (I don't know what kind of metal you're talking about) but for all that is heavy, I recommend it.

5. I've owned a number of Mesa's and still own my TF550b. I don't think they really compete in the same tonal space. The TF is warm, fat, but very, very clean, and very tight down low (although I understand the TF750a.. the current model... is bigger down low now due to the extra power and I assume a little bit of revoicing).

The Mesa tone has more color and inherent voicing (the 'Mesa' sound), however, as posted above, each model has a different take on 'tube-like' tone.

The BB750 is, to my ear, voiced to occupy the same tonal space as the vintage Ampeg stuff. It's mid voiced, snarly, and growly, and can do an extreme overdrive tone if you want it.

The 600 is more fat, clean tube tone to my ear (closer to, for example, the Aguilar take on hybrid tone). It's VERY big down low, warm and 'tube sweet' up top, and has lots of modern features (multiple bands of semi-parametric EQ, etc.)

The Walkabout is more similar to the 600 than the BB750. It's VERY tubey sounding, and does a very nice, warm, tube break-up tone when pushed a bit. It's not snarly aggressive like the BB750, but is a touch more punchy and 'warm' than the more pure, big tube-like tone of the 600.

I have not had the pleasure of trying the Carbine or Titan V12, but it seems the Carbine moves the Mesa tone more toward a traditional hybrid tone (i.e., a touch tighter and more SS sounding). The Titan looks to be a higher powered, more fully featured BB750. However, from the reviews I've read, the big increase in power allows for much cleaner tone at higher volumes than the BB750 (which is relatively low power into 4ohms).

The 400+ is no longer in production.

IMO and IME. If you like it tight, warm, and very clean, the TF550/750 is a very good option. If you really like all tube amps, but don't want to deal with the cost, size, weight, the Mesa hybrids (at least some of them) are as close as you are going to get to that 'fatness' of an all tube amp down low, and that feel of a bit of 'give' in the attack in a small, hybrid design.

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    TF all the way.

7. As a follow-up to my post, the Titan is really the 'apples to apples' comparison model with the TF750a. I found the 600 and the TF550b to be pretty evenly matched volume-wise, and into 4ohms, the BB750 was significantly softer than the TF550b unless you really just cranked it into distortion (which to be fair, is kind of what that amp is about).

Just depends on the tone the OP wants. Both amps are high quality, great service, great tone given their different design goals.

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Thanks all, for the input!

9. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Thunderfunk for portability and TONE+

10. Tekken

Tekken

Oct 11, 2008
    Turin - Italy
    Hi everyone! :),

In your opinion, which amp between:
    - Thunderfunk TFB 750 A
    - Thunderfunk TFB 550 B
    - Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600

is better suited for my needs?

I can't try them in A/B/C comparison... :(

I play mainly:
    - acid jazz, funk, soul, pop and dance music with my band Alterego Vibe (Alterego Vibe - Official Website
    - gospel songs (Kirk Franklin, Israel Houghton etc.) with my 100 people gospel choir (Free Voices Gospel Choir

My cabs are:
    - Aguilar DB 112 (8 Ohm ; 300 W)
    - Aguilar DB 112 NT (8 Ohm ; 300 W)

I'm looking for clear & fat sound (but not boomy) and also power & volume (but with definition).

Waiting for your answer, I thank you in advance for your attention. :)

Tekken (Andrea)

PS
    I've had an Aguilar AG 500 sc but now I've sold it: great tone but not so much volume/power and a little bit too much "SS" to my ears.

11. I've had the M-pulse with the DB 112s and really loved it. Pretty diverse range of tones you can get. It has that warm bassy kick if you need it.

I haven't played the TFunk so can't comment there.

12. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I noticed that this was an old thread that has been resurrected, so I'll respond to your question specifically.

I have no experience with the Mesa M-Pulse. I do, however own both the TF 550B and 750A. Both are great heads, and rather than go into tone, headroom etc... I would suggest reading the response earlier by KJung. He pretty much nails it.

The Thunderfunks have great build quality. Never had an issue with either one of them. They are relatively light. The controls are very useful. I have always been able to EQ any venue I have played at with them.

Honestly, I have never pushed either one to its limits yet. I usually use a couple of Aguilar GS 112 cabs with the TF heads. The Thunderfunk heads are clean heads with great tone. I would say they are the most neutral head of all the heads I own. They don't really do anything unique, they just work. I have used them with both a Precision and Jazz, in Christian Rock, Country, classic rock and Americana.

I hope this helps.

13. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have and use the ThunderFunk 550 and the Aguilar DB-112's, one can really get a lot-ta tones out of this set-up ... heck, just using the enhance & timbre controls changes the overall feel/tone of the amp, but the so called fat sound is somewhat attainable, but it is not like the Messa M-Pulse 600, I would call it pillowly fat and kinda hard to dial out the pillowy/tubey sound, the Thunderfunk is going to be a tighter sounding kinda fat, also the portability of the 1-12's is pretty hard to beat ... so Mr. Tekkin my advice is the ThunderFunk, but if you want the tubey somewhat rounder pillowy sound I'd get a ToneHammer 500
    I haven't played the ThunderFunk 750, so I don't know how it will sound, but I have played the Messa M-Pulse 600 ...

16051487685_a51407722b_b. Untitled by jastacey128, on Flickr

14204739782_4e66dd999f_b. Untitled by jastacey128, on Flickr

dmrogers likes this.
  14. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Yep, jastacey is spot on! With the Thunderfunk, you get a very clear, defined sound. Works great in a band setting. I really don't see a lot of difference between the 550B and the 750. They are different but it's not huge. Many times, you can set the EQ flat, and adjust just the Timbre and Enhance.

The ToneHammer 500 is one of the most organic solid state heads I have every played! It is totally fun! Plus it fits easily in my gig backpack. On a small gig, I have a one trip, tote it all in without a dolly. Guitar, Hathor 1203 and backpack! And you don't give up anything in the tone department with the TH.

The gear options we have today are just great!

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The mpulse is perfect for your styles and will sound amazing with thise cabs. Great compressor too.

Those cabs sound great with pretty much any head. TFunk or TH500, its all going to work.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Mystic Michael likes this.
  16. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Im a TF fan. I love the updated (750 power supply) on my 550B version. Yes my 750a has somewhat of an open bottom but I like the tighter low end of the 550B. They both are similar in loudness Yet a 600 and 800 mesa ( at least the older original models, cause I heard the power is not the same on the newer one's) would sound louder. But the TF are cleaner and built extremely well.