TI Flats Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by smtp4me, Jun 15, 2021.

1. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    As a member of TB and a long-time bass player, I've heard about Thomastik Infeld flat wound strings too many times to count. But I've never used/played them.

According to their website, they have two types of flat wound strings: "Infeld" and "Jazz Flat Wound". Which of these are the more popular - which type are people referring to when they mention "TI Flats"??

2. TI Jazz Flats.

3. They sound great on my jazz bass. Didn’t care for them on the precision, I prefer Labella deep talkin flats. Good thing about these kinds of strings is that they’re easily sold used if you don’t like them.

4. To the OP...

TI Jazz Flats come in two different packages as seen above. Don't let that confuse you; they're the same strings inside those packages.

DaveDeVille, JPK_DK, Clipped and 7 others like this.
  5. Opposite here, I like TI flats on a P-bass, Ric, and most any hollow body bass, but have not liked them on my Jazz basses. But I like LaBella DTF 760FLs on both P and J basses.

6. Where did you see Infeld listed as flats ?
    If you look at the tech detail for the "Infeld" strings it says

Superalloy Roundwound Hexcore

Loring likes this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    This is a fair question. There is also a yellow package that is labeled "Jazz Bass" with
    Flat Wound" in small font on the corner. They also say JF344 only on the top edge of the package and are same gauge as in post 3.
    I think if you were going to try your first set it is not obvious.
    upload_2021-6-15_16-20-44.jpeg

8. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    It’s referring to the fact it’s a wound flat. Signed “Cap’n Obvious”:laugh:

Killing Floor likes this.
  9. OldSchoolFlats

OldSchoolFlats

May 29, 2021
    This is the packaging I had 10 years ago. I see the model is JF344: same as the model in the prior image. Looks like the packaging changed.

Just note the VERY low tension. They feel “mushy” under the fingers, as compared with ol’ time flatwound. Very “expressive” strings though, since by controlling how hard you pluck, you can get a lot of different sounds.

BTW, it’s been years, but for 5-stringers, I seem to recall a massive B string. IF memory serves.

EatS1stBassist and Killing Floor like this.
  10. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

The funny thing is most TI - Jazz Flats here on TB is put on Precision basses even though the 2 packaging's show a Jazz Bass. And in case you are wondering Austrians do make pasta - in this case these strings - al dente

Seriously - Thomastiks have a numbering system - In both cases the strings are JF344 as in Jazz Flat 34 scale 4 string - even individual strings have a catalog number as well - My super long scale 6 string super alloy is IN366

The Red packaging is the current one

Guitar Strings Bass Guitar | Products | Thomastik-Infeld Vienna
    Jazz Flat Wound Bass Guitar | Guitar Strings | Products | Thomastik-Infeld Vienna
    Jazz Round Wound Bass Guitar | Guitar Strings | Products | Thomastik-Infeld Vienna

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  11. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love the TI Flats. I have them on both of my Rics, and my Fender Starcaster.

12. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Great strings.
    I personally love the tension on these, the other flats are too stiff. In my opinion, of course.

13. They've had both of the two packages for a while now; not that one replaced the other as such. I guess it depends on where you're located and which retailer you get them from as to which package you end up with.

TI JF344 2.jpeg TI JF344 1.jpeg

14. I’ve only seen the yellow packaging in the ones I purchased. Maybe it’s used for the US market?

armybass likes this.
  15. Yeah it's massive, but didn't take long to adjust to. I tune them UP to C standard. Tension is goldy locks just right

16. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Totally agree. Tension is different than many others. So give yourself a few days to get used to them. Worth it.

armybass and tindrum like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yellow package is objectively better on stage and in studio. Measured and verified with science.

armybass likes this.
  18. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Eschew Obfuscation
    I know this is just a little off topic but has anyone used TI flats on a Yamaha BBP 34 or 35?

If so what was your experience. How close does the sound come to a regular Precision sound?

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021