TI Jazz Flats + aluminum pick

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by roswell1965, Nov 23, 2015.

1. roswell1965

roswell1965

Mar 5, 2002
    Brand new aluminum pick and I really like the feel and tone I'm getting, but after no more than 10 minutes of playing I had this: DSC05330%20-%20Copy_zpseygqy3bk.jpg
    These strings are several months old, and at this point I'm not sure if this is coming off the pick, the strings or both. At $70 a set I'll stick with a nylon or plastic pick if aluminum is going to chew these up. Just wondering what you guys think. Maybe I should just keep playing and see what happens lol.. Thanks for any input, Mark

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    TI's are nickel, right? Isn't nickel softer than aluminum?

Regardless, I think you should indeed keep playing and see what happens. If you like the results of that pick with those strings, that's all that matters, right? If it brings the funk, it can't be wrong.

roswell1965 likes this.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    looks like it's coming off the pick take the pick and rub it back and forth in a napkin to see what happens.

roswell1965 likes this.
  4. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    That looks like aluminum dust to me, it gets on everything and is particularly hard to get off when mixed with oil. If you look at the end of the pick you see it's getting polished by the strings creating dust, while I've never rubbed a piece of nickel on a piece of aluminum to see which got more polished, I use a steel pick, and an aluminum pick on all my basses except the one strung with NEONs and I don't notice any abnormal string wear even on the tape wounds. So I think you should be fine, if this is something your thinking of getting more into you might look into anodizing the picks so you don't have to deal with the dust.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    SirMjac28 and roswell1965 like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You might try either of these.
    2899zjr.jpg 2vaaw4h.jpg

6. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    Me too.

Yes.
    No. Nickel is quite a bit harder then pure Aluminium. However tempered Aluminium alloys can be pretty hard.
    Did the package of the picks say anything about "aircraft aluminium" or something? Than its probably made of
    6061 aluminium alloy and the hardness will be closer to Nickel.

Huh? No. The wedgies are made of rubber and the Claytons are rubbercoated, sans feltpicks, that's as far away from a Aluminium pick as you can get.

Will_White and jd56hawk like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    In that case, are those fancy polished stone picks any good? I have one around here somewhere but I won't find it until I'm not actually looking for it.

8. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I use horn picks sometimes, I haven't tried stone, your best bet is to buy a whole bunch of different types and find the ones that work best for you.

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Stone and shell are pretty bright, and should stand up to wear pretty well on flats (the flats may wear first). Horn as less bright, and should hold up well, too.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021