TI Jazz Flats - which gauge for a Precision ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CaseyVancouver, Jul 24, 2018.

1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image.jpeg image.png image.png

Hey!
    I have a long scale fretted '81 Precision Special that I've used rounds on since new. Looking to change things up and try TI Jazz flats for the first time.

Any comments on the different gauge TI's available and what they will feel/sound like on a Pre bass?

Locally my Long & McQuade can bring in the strings.
    The cheapest are the 43-100 gauge at $82 Canadian.
    The 33-136 are $138
    The 43-136 are $125

As the 43-100 are only $82 I'm rather inclined to try them out.
    Anything bad about them?

I don't gig this bass anymore. It's a play at home practise bass that has been ignored a few years. Looking to put it in rotation with a number of other basses.

Thanks for your opinions :)

lowplaces likes this.
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    They only make one 4 string set in long scale.

3. The cheapest are the 43-100 gauge at $82 Canadian = only 4-string set available.
    The 33-136 are $138 = 6-string set.
    The 43-136 are $125 = 5-string set.

4. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Haha!
    Thanks, I guess my choices are narrowed down!
    It's a 4 string bass.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The 43-100 set gets the "Mushroo seal of approval" for 4-string P bass. :)

My only criticism is that they're not great for drop tunings. Eb standard is fine, but any lower than that, they start getting a little floppy in my experience.

If you are primarily an EADG-tuning player then I endorse the TI's without hesitation! :)

6. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have had the 43-100 set since the first of the year on my 71 P and love them.

Side story, I ordered these on 12-20-2017 and did not think about them. Then on Christmas morning one of the last presents I opened was a set of TI Jazz Flats!! My wife saw them come in the mail and wrapped them up for me! What a great wife!

7. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Based on their low tension I would expect this.

Mushroo likes this.
  8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    As Mushroo says, they work for standard and half step down with no problem. I have basses tuned to each that I've used for years. I've never tuned lower, so no experience there.

Plus, if you like them you won’t have to replace strings for at least a decade.

salcott likes this.
  9. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    They sound great on a P-bass and last forever. I have a set on my '68 Fender and I honestly can't say how long they've been on there...20 years anyway. There's a sound to those strings that is hard to describe (a chewy, middy bite...) but is very, very satisfying—especially on-stage. Given their longevity at the price (and L&M is *very* competitive on these strings), they're a bargoon!:thumbsup:

10. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I believe the 43-100 set is the only set they sell, I haven't seen any other gauge sets, for the 4 string packaging, but I may be wrong

11. jayridge

jayridge

Jun 26, 2006
    You are in for a treat. TI flats sound great, are very consistent and feel amazing. I am 12+ years in on my last set. I clean the strings with mineral oil once a year.

Gizmot, CaseyVancouver and salcott like this.
  12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Good Choice. When I listen to our live recordings I am always amazed at how great a P with T.I. Flats sounds. Just put some on my new Mustang PJ and my bandmates constantly comment on the sound. (positively!)

They ARE lower tension than many other strings, but you get used to it quickly.

CaseyVancouver and interp like this.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I use these strings on a PBass and like them a lot. Although they are expensive, I never change them.

CaseyVancouver and interp like this.
  14. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    TI flats sound outstanding on a P-bass, and they sound outstanding for years and years. For this reason, on a cost-per-use basis they are the cheapest strings made.

15. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    This is the set found on the Pino's signature P-Bass: Thomastik-Infeld® Flatwounds, Gauges: (.043 .056 .070 .100), sounds like the one you in your post at $82CAD.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Each Ti flat string is very response with EQ tweak and they are very well balance in string to string tone.
    Unlike others Flatwound string I use before, when I bump the low on bass amp, only the E,A,D get notible tone changing, but the G still lame and weak; otherwise when I push the treble knob, some of the E string won't wake up to match D and G string sound.

My opinion share.

17. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I use 43-56-70-100 gauge on my P Bass and I love the tone, it seems like TI's and a P Bass are just made for each other even though they were originally made in mind for a Jazz Bass. I have had the strings on my P Bass for over 4 years and they have seemed to have gained a rich Midrange tone to them which I cannot really describe. Hey I aint complaining though, they sound great !

2saddleslab and CaseyVancouver like this.
  18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Even a full step down, TI's are ok.

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York

The P Bass you see me playing in my avatar has had the same TI's on it for 20 years and they get better every time I play them.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  20. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    The rounds I have on it are from the early ‘90s. They STILL sound good ha ha. Not kidding , dead rounds sound awesome. Made me wonder why I’m replacing them.

Picked up the new TI’s the other day. Looking forward to installing them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021