TI Jazz Rounds on a P/J...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rusty, Aug 3, 2004.

1. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Hey guys!!

I've currently got a set of hi-beams on my Sadowsky vintage 4, but I've been thinking about trying out a set of TI jazz rounds... anyone using them? How do they sound on a p/j?

2. Rust,
    I just put TI PowerBass on my brand new Sad PJ/4.
    They sound real good ! Nice tension and very even all over the board.
    I never tried anyother TI yet. I have a set of Flats I'm going to put on one of my basses soon.
  3. Here's my take on them. After playing DA XLs heavies on my EMG P/J equipped BB3000 for many years, I switched last winter to TI Jazz rounds (thanks Mike D!). I really liked the TI acoustic set on my Ren fretless and loved the low tension (after I got used to it). From what I could find out about the Jazz rounds, they would fit the music I play and give me the lower tension I was looking for.

Mostly, I need a somewhat old school sound, with the ability to get some cut when I want it. They've been pretty much perfect for me. Slightly thicker in the mids (my D and G strings sound fuller) than the XLs, they are smoother to the touch and to the ear. After a few hours break in, they don't have the somewhat edgy treble sound that I would have to dial out with the XLs. They are touch sensitive so when I dig in, they cut with a nice mid honk. I've had them on my bass for about 6 months (approximately 40-60 hours a month) and I'm just starting to feel like I need a new set. YMMV.

Here's a bite from a gig when they were about 3 months old. P 90%/ J 60%/ treble 70%. SWR220/Fishman Pro EQ DI.
    File is about 525K, Zydeco T live at Jake's: jazzrounds.mp3
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I fully agree with Joe. I used TI's after using D'addario XLs (although I only used 'em for a few months). Great strings, they had a nasty sound to them at first that I hated, but they broke in quickly and warmed up nicely. The feel is also especially nice. The low tension makes them very pliable and they reward good technique. In addition, the windings on them are of very, very small wire so they feel very smooth for rounds and are easy on your fingers.
  5. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I wrote this in another thread:

Now I've got contakt with the Swedish dealer for TI str.
    I've got some more Q's that I hope You know the answer to before I decide
    Do You think there is any differences in sound between Daddario XL (nickelplated roundwound) and TI Jazz Roundwound (nickel)? I guess TI Jazz has more even tension (feel) but do You think they are smoother to?
    Or, should I go for the TI Jazz Flats?
    I've only tested Daddario Chromes flat str. but I think thought they were a bit "sticky" to my fingers and a bit "stiff" to play.
    I intend to use the strings on my newky bought Ibanez Artcore Semi Hollow bass (orginally stringed with Daddario XL roundwounds, but I think they are to "clanky" for that bass and the sixties styled/semi acoustik outfit where I'm gonna use it)

Then I read Your inlays in this thread

So I guess I will put on a set of TI Jazz Rounds on my
    Ibanez Artcore semi hollow for a smoother/more even low tension sound/feel than the Daddario XL's, but maybe a bit more "allround" sound than TI Jazz Flats
  6. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Thanks guys :) Think I'll hazard a set sometime soon once my hibeams wear out :D
  7. They are my favorite strings, the best I have ever tried for my 4 string P/J. Love the musical tone and feel of the strings.
  8. That's a pretty good summation. I will add that with these strings I've gotten more use out of my J pickup in "solo" mode (J 100% / P 30%). Previously, I had felt that the J was a bit thin sounding, but the TI's thicken it nicely, without having to color it too much with the P.
  9. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Do you mean Roundwounds, or Flats?
  10. Sorry, it took so long to answer. I meant the 36" scale TI Jazz roundwounds on my 4 string. Still waiting for them to make a 36" 5 string set. But to me the flats miss a little "all round sound" that the roundwounds have.

I do have a set of flats on my 5 string right now (except for the B string). The new D'Addario XLs I tried had the first string (G) that sounded dead, not only at the dead spot but all up and down the neck. I had some old TI flats hanging in the closet. Amazing how much better the strings sound than the D'Addario on the 'G' string, even at the dead spot.
  11. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I have D'addarios on my bass now and I'm thinking about trying the Jazz Rounds.

Did you guys have to raise your action a lot due to the Jazz Round's lower tension?
  12. I didn't have to adjust my bridge up or down. About a half turn on my truss rod took care of the relief. I did have to adjust the bridge a bit to get the octave harmonics directly over the 12th fret. YMMV.
  13. Did you guys have to raise your action a lot due to the Jazz Round's lower tension?[/QUOTE]

Not on the Lakland I have. Just a slight adjustment at the bridge. With other basses I have had I also had to adjust the neck itself a little.
  14. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I'm interested in these strings but I like fairly low action on my basses. I've used the Jazz Flats before and I liked them but I had to raise the action a bit and decided that in the end rounds are more the sound I am after. I would like to try the Jazz Rounds but I'm skeptical about not having to raise the action. How are your basses set up action-wise?
  15. I like to get the fretboard almost straight with very little space between the strings and the middle fret when the stings are held down at the first and last fret, then adjust the strings as low as they will go by lowing or raising the bridge so that I just barely get a fret buzz. Only the Alembic has an adjustable nut, so I don't worry about that end.

Since I find that each bass likes different strings, and that I just like to try new strings every once in a while, I experiment with different strings a lot and end up tweaking the neck a lot. It is my impression that the TI strings can get as low as any other. I've used the 34" powerbass 5 string set, 36" jazz roundwounds 4 string and 34" jazz flat 4-string set. With the 4-string sets on the 5 string bass, I've just use what ever B string I have around the house. Usually the balance and tone works alright for playing live. I don't record.

I want to try the new alloys when they get the 36" 5-string out and will get a 5-string jazz round 36" if they start making them.
  16. low medium
    I can get all kinds of string rattle if I dig in as much as I used to with the XLs. I've just learned to use a lighter touch with the lower tension.
  17. I use both string types on different baases. The TI Power Bass are even, nice and tight sounding, great for all styles of music.

I suggest the Jazz Flats (JF344's) for the more traditional "old school sound" with a different feel than most Flat wound strings.

If you have more then one bass, string each bass with a different set of TI's and compare the feel and sound. You won't regret the money you spend!

18. Thanks Treena, I'm wondering if the Super Alloys wouldn't be a bit better than the PB on the new Sad being as the actives are so powerful ??