Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Power Bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nate22, May 7, 2004.

1. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    I just bought a set of flats for my Ibanez SR 5 string on a whim(actually, after hearing so much about them in another thread :bassist: ) I've only seen a set of flatwounds once, and have never even heard what they sound like. What am I in for? Are they gonna sound good w/ my particular bass?

Thanks!

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, if you bought TI Powerbass strings for your bass thinking they were flatwound, then you are in for disappointment since they are roundwound strings.

But, they happen to be the finest roundwound strings currently available, so there are worse mistakes to make. :D

3. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    The power bass strings are not flat wounds, they are round wounds and they are high tension at that.They are a good sounding string.Thomastiks are the finest strings made.The jazz flats are the flat wounds, and they are great strings.If you are going from rounds to flats, you might have a little break in period.Your fingers will either stick to, or slide off the string alternately in the beginning.The jazz flats have exceptional bass response and because they still use nylon inner layers to help dampen the sound, you don't get endless harmonics.They will have more bottom, and surprisingly more top than most rounds, but not quite as much on the mids.They are a very expensive string to made and they should last years with only minimal care(wiping them after playing).They are a little thinner in guage than standard 45-105 rounds, and low tension strings.I find that they don't slap as well, as they tend to "cut out" alot of mids while slapping, you will have to adjust your settings accordingly.They record great and have long been the choice of top studio players on both upright and electric.They have a short break in time and they will sound better in a week or two.Hope that helps. Tony

4. If you want Jazz Flats for your Ibanez SR 5, order the JF345's that's the 5 string set from Thomastik-infeld.

I use both the Power Bass Series and The JF 345's on my 5 string basses and I love the tones.

You can't go wrong with either set!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    A great compromise between the Powerbas and the Flats are the TI Jazz Rounds. They have very low tension and their outer wrap is of such small diameter that they almost feel like flatwounds. I use the JR's on all my basses

Mike

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What Mike said. Jazz Rounds are THE perfect string for my Benavente Vortex. They take away some of the maple board clank, but still sound bright. They feel wonderfully smooth, but still sound like a roundwound.

7. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    DANGIT....ah well..at least I picked a good set of strings, eh?

I'm dissapointed, as I've never played nor heard flatwounds before. :bawl:

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you have listened to a lot of 60's and 70's hits you probably have heard flats before. Jamerson, Kaye, and Osborne are a few that recorded a great many hits using flats. And yes, they are fun to play :).

Dan

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    do thomastik-infeld make sets for six string?

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yup. I've owned Jazz Flats, Jazz Rounds, Acousticores, and Powerbass strings in 6 string sets. All of them are awesome depending on what you are looking for. :bassist:

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I love TI strings i use the power bass strings on my Epiphone Jack Casady bass and also have a set of the jazz flats on my Warwick Infinity LTD 2000. I just might give them a try on the Sadowsky. :bassist:

12. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    The strings won't go into the tuning key hole as far as my old strings....any suggestions? I believe it's called "vintage" keys? Where you insert them straight in, then bend them 90 degrees then start tuning....help!

13. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    thanks for the links....but I managed. My B string was a little thick, but I managed to jam the sucker in there

14. MAJOR METAL

Their great strings :hyper: :bassist:

15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hi Mike, Would you recommend TI Jazz Rounds over the Power Bass rounds for an F Bass BN5? I play mostly funky, bluesy, jazzy styles. Use a Bergantino HT322 cabinet if that gives a clue to the Marcus like Tone that I love. Thanks! Gary

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

For what it sounds like, I think the Power bass would suit you better. The JR's are a bit warmer and not as "in your face" as the Power Bass strings. For me there is just too much harmonic content in the Power Bass' when I am laying down 4 or 5 bass loops.

Mike

17. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks for the info Mike. Based on your description, I agree! Will give them a try! Gary

18. MAJOR METAL

They got some great punch

19. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Mike, I finally installed some TI Power Bass Round wound strings on my F Bass BN5. All I can say is WOW. Ok, I can say more. I am very impressed with their feel and tone so far. Will be interesting to see how long they last. I was using LaBella Super Steps before and while I liked their sound, the B string went dead very fast. They were good for about one month.
    TI Power Bass Strings = so far so good. Love them on first listen. - Gary