1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TIL Shaving your beard doesn't make it grow back faster

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MetalSearGolid, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MetalSearGolid

MetalSearGolid Cyperpunk Cowboy

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    FML. I am the Samson of bass... no longer worthy

Before and after
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    LWIL what TIL means.

3. MetalSearGolid

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    TILMBMMA

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What the H-E-double hockey sticks do these acronyms mean?

5. MetalSearGolid

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    TIL - Today I learned
    LWIL - Last week I learned
    TILMBMMA - Today I learned my beard makes me attractive. My girl keeps calling me names because I look so young now haha

6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm gonna start using acronyms for entire sentences, maybe even an entire post.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Samson had long hair. That looks like you forgot to shave for a couple days.

-Mike

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    That's not a [DEL]knife[/DEL] beard! :p

9. MetalSearGolid

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I know. That was taken a while ago, but was the best pic I had for a comparison (since both were taken in my car). When I shaved this morning I had a full beard.

I posted this in another thread, it's kinda dark but it's from the other night and you can see it's much thicker than the one in the previous pic:
    [​IMG]

I agree though; the Samson comparison might be a bit of a stretch, but I think you can see what I was going for. I'm just lamenting the loss of my beard under a wrong impression of making it grow thicker

10. It's too bad resources aren't available that will assist a person in dispelling myths concerning personal hygiene and hair growth. Someday, the Internet will be up to snuff.

THIS is a knife.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1382976280.547603.

11. MetalSearGolid

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    I grew up with the notion that "shaving makes your beard come back thicker". I didn't think to look it up on the internet, and I guess my delusion made me think my beard just got thicker every time I'd shave it

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, my girlfriend doesnt like when I shave my beard either. Only time I ever really do is around halloween. Then I spend a few weeks looking her age.

13. It's been a long held notion that shaving often makes it thicker, so no foul believing that.

I used to bounce between bald with goatee/no goatee a lot and when I'd shave it, I could pass for ten years younger than my age. Be glad you still have your yute and the ability to look youthful. I gave up a few months ago. Quit shaving and only gave myself one haircut since throwing in the towel. I still shower daily though.

If I ever post a photo and I'm wearing Crocs and sweatpants, then you'll know I've completely given up.

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Did you mean to post IGSUAFESMEAEP perhaps?

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Or jorts with those Crocs.

-Mike

16. MetalSearGolid

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    What I want to do is grow it out just long enough so I can comb it and not have the little long hairs sticking out. In the past I've used little scissors to trim errant hairs, but this becomes tedious after a few weeks. Usually I just put the III guard on my trimmer eventually and shave it to the length of the first picture. Any advice on how I can manage errant hairs more efficiently once it all grows back in?

17. MetalSearGolid

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    e69ecf39f4308e1fb2e2e90259c5b28929a9b86e87abbd00ddf73b96e8d9c0d0.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    BMTI

(beat me to it)

I usually run a stubble beard because my wife likes it and I don't have to shave. But being that the Sox are in the World Series, and they are all growing beards, I decided to let mine go for a couple of weeks. It has gotten fuller and less scratchy. I may get a request to keep it this way. As long as I don't have to drag a razor blade over my face I don't care HOW she wants it. I'll color it red and tie little pink ribbons in it if that keeps me from dragging blades across my skin.

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Don't know about the pink ribbons, but just about anything works as an excuse for me to not shave.
    Living in Alabama I maintain a stash and chin whiskers, and get it trimmed every time I get a trim on top. I shave the rest once a month, or more if I need to pass for a republican. :D:D

20. !!

Amazingly, some people don't get that reference. You get an A+!

Gotta see that again sometime. Mmmarissa. :hyper: