Tim Commerford - Rage Against The Machine...tone...?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Does anyone know what gear Tim Bob used on Rage's self titled album? I know he used a MM stingray, but on take the powerback, it seems like his tone has a bit more balls and punch than the standard stingray tone...Anyone know what else he is using?
    Cabs, pedals, any of the stuff?
  2. yeah, he used a stingray, as for the amps, as i'm sure everybody read in bass player magizine, he is very secretive about amps. i do believe though, he used SVT II head, with ampeg cabs, i guess he did a lot of modding on his amp heads, he never specifically said, but one trick he did let out was that he used telefunkin tubes. i don't know how much tubes change the sound since i've never had a tube amp. as for effects, he uses three distortions, but he said he usually used the marshell govn'r for ratm. thats about all i can tell you.
    good luck, Charlie
  3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    On the first album, it was pure Stingray into a big SWR rig. His tone changed drastically to the big, fat, distorted J-Bass through an SVT rig on Evil Empire. The distortion came from a Marshall Guv'nor pedal, as already stated. How do I know this? I saw RATM live just before the first album came out at the Underworld in London, and I stood right in front of Mr Commerford... :D

Russ :bassist:
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I believe that he also used an EQ pedal to boost the highs which was how he got that grinding type of sound he had going on. I don't know what you guys think, but personaly, I preferred his tone on the first album the best. I know he's worked hard on perfecting his distortion sound, but I really think that his original sound would be worth pursuing again.
  5. agreed...

apparently he dug his tone on evil empire the most, but his stingray tone on self titled cuts through more, sounds punchier, and has alot more presence.
  6. wow, i bet that was cool, i would have loved to see ratm live, but 1.) in 92 i was only 7 and
    2.) i didn't get into RATM until 2000 a little bit before renagades came out and a little bit before they broke up :bawl: anyways, thats why i've resolved to go to an audioslave concert even if it kills me!! (please don't break up audioslave!)
  7. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I saw audioslave live and noticed tim had 2 crybaby wah wahs linked together... don't know if this might interest but it's cool!
    anyway I am still searching for tim's jazz sound... I play in a ratm cover band...!!!
  8. speaking of tim's jazz...

Is that a thumb rest above/next to the bridge pickup?
  9. RareDevil

Apr 13, 2009
    Yeah it is. :) He also mounted one on his Stingray(s) he used in early 90s. Also hes making/modifying the pickups, the distortion pedal, and amps he use, as related 6 years ago, in this thread. And for those, yeah it is a Marshall Guv'nor, also modified. :bag:
  10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Tim used a StingRay with a 2-band eq.
  11. Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Any truth to the myth that on "bullet in the head" its his ray plugged straight into the recording console?
  12. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I've always preferred his tone on Evil Empire. It's really his most dynamic recording. I like how his mellow sections are really smooth and his aggressive sections are super raw sounding. On later recordings I feel like he went for more of a compressed sound and lost some of that contrast, but that's IMO.

He used a pretty simple set up back when the did the self titled album, relatively speaking.