1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tim Commerford!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RAGE/AUDIOSLAVE, Mar 21, 2006.

1. RAGE/AUDIOSLAVE

RAGE/AUDIOSLAVE

Mar 21, 2006
    Sorry But reading through great bassists etc. Tim commerford of Rage and Audioslave isn't considered. Come on he has a really cool sound!

Opinions please
    More like reasons!!! come on!

I think he is a really cool guy

2. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    There's been a lot of threads about Tim and he's mentioned many times in threads about favorite ,overrated , underrated bassists.

Personally I like him and he's one of the bassist's that really got me interested in playing . He might not be the greatest player but I think his style and ability to mix it up really fit RATM's music , though I'm not a big Audioslave fan. Some people like him ( I think mostly people in my age group late teen's - mid 20's) and others don't. Most of the dis-like might be because of Rage's rap/hard rock sound or Zack's lyrics or their political view's , I dunno. I dig his sound and Rage's too if that counts for anything.

Rich

3. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    He dosen't show his chops on Audioslave , but that dosen't mean his is not a great player I have seen him live and he did crazy stuff

4. i think he's pretty good, he was one of the first to get me started on bass, and definatly the first to get me to try effects...but his name does pop up here a lot!

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Rage is so much better then audioslave, but I like audioslave only because they use to be rage. Tim is cool. His tone is simply amazing!

6. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Killer tone.
    His name should be Tim "in the pocket" Cummerford, he lays down some sweet groves.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Timmy C has one of the best distorted bass sounds around. Gear geeks love to pick apart the convoluted process of how his tone is generated. As a player, some think he's way over-rated, some idolize him. Personally, I like what he does. He lays down heavy, solid grooves with a distinctive tone that fits (and defines) the music he's playing - what more do you want from the guy?

8. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Yeah, he's great! Great tone and an awsome player.

9. Exactly what I was going to post - TimBob/C/Tim2K lives in the groove, and his tone is to die for if you like J-bass based overdrive/distortion. ;)

I also think he's somewhat limited in his role in RATM/Audioslave. I'd love to hear some of the fretless work he did with Juan Alderete ("John" from his Racer X days) of The Mars Volta on Juan's "Big Sur" project.

10. Tim is one of my favorite players - I find that his restrained style of playing really serves the songs. He does great, economical work. A+!

11. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    I really dig both Rage and Audioslave. A big portion of that is Tim's sound and playing style. He's not Wooten but if everyone was Wooten wouldn't be special :D

The first complete song I've learned so far is 'I am the Highway'. It's not real complicated but fun to play.

I started with 'Gasoline' and it was just too tough at the time.
    Learning and playing the easier song help alot and last time I played thru with the band I made no mistakes, I also got thru the largest portion of Gasoline with very few mistakes.
    It has a pretty fast and fairly technical line (at least at that speed) and it changes up quite a bit.

12. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I read an interview where he said his tone is just horrible on it's own but with the band it sounds amazing... very good point that many n00b's miss.. if it sounds great on it's own it's prob WAY to fat when you put it in the mix.

13. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Jaun played fretless in that project, and before Tim left the project he was playing fretted, according to Juan in an interview.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think he's a little overrated, I don't like the music his bands make and his tone doesn't excite me in the slightest.

15. Had it not been for Tim Commerford and the intro to Bombtrack I would not be playing the bass this day.

My hat goes off to him!:bassist:

16. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    well, you have to be realistic about this. as far as bassists in general, tim (and most other rock bassists) don't hold a candle to the fusion/jazz players out there(ala wooten, miller, clarke, bailey, manthing etc etc). this is just a general observation based on what is heard and played at concerts and recordings.

however, there are several rock bassists who would be equally as good as the jazz guys, such as the Ox, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Flea etc etc. these guys really let rip on some recordings, and a possible reason that they SEEM better as bassists than the other rock players is that they actually play in a certain way to showcase their cops on their recordings.

basically, no one knows what tim crommerford can do because i am yet to hear him let loose like the Ox or Geddy. does that mean he can't do it? probably, but not necessarily.

So, you don't hear much about Tim because he is an Ok rock bassist. thats it, he's nothing special and he doesn't really stand apart from the average rock bassist the way the Ox did.

17. 1zero

1zero

May 20, 2005
    well i think his tone stands out very nicely in the current rock scene...

18. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think he's quite a good bassist, and his tone is one of the few modern rock bass tones that you can actually pick out while listening to RATM/Audioslave on the radio through a crappy sound system. If you can hear the bass even through that, something's gotta be right ;)

And yeah, he's a major reason I picked up/still play bass. He may rarely just totally let loose, but let's face it--he doesn't need to.

-Dash

19. Amazing Tone,Great Player,Best bassist to fit Tom Morello's lines.

20. His style fits in very nicely with the bands he plays in, though there probably are better players out there, but.....what more do you want? RATM/Audioslave are both "classic" modern rock bands so what he is doing is doing the job,,yeah?