Tips on getting fit quick?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Jun 18, 2004.

1. School has just ended, and I feel the need to try my hardest to get a lot of my fat burned off during summer so I can blow people away next year. I've started running everynight, but I don't know what else to do. I've planned to cut back eating quite a bit, and try only eating healthy things but it's hard to do in the summer.

I wouldn't mind losing a good 40 pounds in 2 months, give or take.

Does anybody have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks in advanced.
  2. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    If you can afford it, try going to a gym. There, you can do many different excercises on the machines and free weights. If you do, try to go to the library and pick up some books on weight lifting/fitness. The gym is an excellent place to go to get in shape. If not, I would recommend sit ups and pushups every day, adding a couple more every day to build endurance. Eat stuff that is high in protein but low in carbs; meats are good for this, as well as rice and eggs. Remember, results wont come immediately so keep going at it and don't give up.

Good luck to you!
  3. I'm mainly worried about losing weight, opposed to getting built.
  4. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    The weight training/excersize should help you lose weight in terms of body fat. Appearance wise, you'll slim down since you're burning off the fat, and also gain muscle mass. So, your weight may go down slightly or stay the same, but your appearance will be thinner.
  5. if your mostly consirned (sp?) on losing weight and not being buff, stop eating fatty foods, do some excerzizing thats fun (swimming...biking...killing...tale ur pick!! :) ;) ) and buy some weight loss pills or something.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's more effective to run in the morning, before breakfast.
  7. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Eat nothing but Subway sandwhiches like Jared Fogle.
  8. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Also--drink plenty of water BEFORE and AFTER your excersize. Good luck to you man.

Thinking of You: You have a PM.
  9. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Drink lots of water.

And don't overdue it.
  10. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Lots of good tips here, but Im against swimming if your
    1) a beginner
    2) who wants to burn fat right now.

Swimming is probably your best bet, but theres usually a period of a month or two where you learn how to swim.

I cant believe im saying this, cause its your fast ticket to slim town, but its true - swimming is unnatural at first. It will take learning the stroke properly to make it a good, cardio workout. That said, If you want to make a nice longerterm approach, mix up swimming, running, and weights.

Im not pulling this out of my ass either, I competed in state in Florida. I used to swim year-round 6 days a week 6 miles a day, run one, and workout afterword.

Those days are so over, thank god.
  11. I've been going to a gym for five months now (and running for about three years) and the one tip I can give you is that to burn fat and tone muscle you should exercise for longer periods but to burn calories you must make sure that you aren't pushing your body to hard. Basically it takes a while for your body fat to warm up - once it does it then starts getting burnt off pretty quick, but it's better to run SLOWER for longer to achieve this - otherwise you will be getting good at endurance but not actually getting any trimmer! YOu should also find out about your optimum heart rate for burning fat - if you can get together with a fitness instructor (preferably female! *joke*) they should be able to advise you on this - for me because I'm 31 my optimum heart rate during exercise is 160 BPM - anything above that and I am pushing myself too hard.

This may sound like a lot of work and effort - just like learning a bunch opf scales and reading music, not much fun but very useful in the long term - but if you get it right you'll be set for life and you'll look and feel loads better - it's really worth doing well my friend!
  12. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    You should check out this website

If nothing else, watch the animated gif of his rapid succession daily pictures that show him morph from a fat pile to a lean, cut guy.

He covers diet, routine, etc.

Apparently he had an injury and lost some muscles from the 6 months past when I last visited the site.
  13. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Im with you here, but there is the school of thought that promotes a fast 30 minute strength/cardio mix to burn fat. - as in you go and quickly do 1 set and 10 reps of bi's tris' lats etc. Some gyms seem to be set up for this and have multiple lidentical ines of various nautilus machines so one person can 'go down the line' without interruption and be finished in 30 minutes

I think thats what that 30 minute workout by Basedow guy is hawking too.

that said, Im all for the long style workout you are saying. It has to be more effective.

EDIT_ dont starve yourself. This will be counterproductive Manage your diet instead. That website i posted has some good info.
  14. Hey FN, yeah I'm with you too - I now do a shorter more intense work out with some weights as well - try to build up my arm strength a bit too - a la Wooten (he's built like a tank!) but when I do a longwork out it's like 6 machines for ten minutes each - over an hour - but I also go running round my local park which is great as the hills are for real and not on some wussy tread mill!

And yeah, eat well - your body needs FUEL - to run well - the better the fuel the better it runs - so NO McDonalds!
  15. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    :Grabbing love handles:
    I totally agree, anything is better than nothing - unless were talking about lovehandles.
    Those suck.
  16. another thing that helps burn fat is cleaning. ecspecially when ur asleep. i just woke up to find that i had cleaned the launfry room, the faimly room, and my bedroom. no-one else could have done it because its 4 in the morning. i wonder how long it took me.....i need a shower....

jumping jacks burn fat :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  17. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    You can crash out on my couch anytime. Hell, ill take the couch if I can glue a sponge and ajax to your hands. :D
  18. That's why you should always do house work when you're slighty pissed (that's UK English for drunk!) - because you wake up to a lovely clean house - so you only have your hangover to think about!
  19. Thanks guys for all your help.

I'll just keep on running daily, slowly building myself up for longer distances. I'll try and keep a healthy diet too. That's really all I can think of.