Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips on gigging out for first time?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TravellinMan, Mar 16, 2004.

1. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Been playing for 10 years and never made it out of the basement til now...ANy tips on what you learned or another musician has told you!

Take care
    TM

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't stand there looking like you're waiting for a bus to come by.

Let your body show you're really digging what the band is doing even if it's just bobbing your head back and forth.

If you don't look like you're into it, don't expect the audience to be into it.

Secondly - Have your set lists worked out to keep the delay between songs minimal. The 15 seconds it may actually take to decide which song to do next seems like a minute to the audience.
    I'm a big believer in launching right into another song as one ends or having someone count out "2-3-4" and going right into another song.

Once you have people on the floor, you want to keep them there for a while.

Hope all goes great for ya!

3. Things WILL go wrong. Always have a backup plan and keep your cool.

Be polite and respectful to the club owner and/or sound guy. Be sure to thank the appropriate people sometime during your show (club owner, promoter, opening band, etc.). Consider them all your business partners.

Never underestimate the value of a thorough sound check. This includes everybody's effects and playing through at least one full song.

Get there early enough to have everything ready at least 30 minutes before you go on (including soundcheck). It will take you about an hour to setup, give or take depending on your equipment.

Know your set! Everyone should have all the songs down pat.

Last but not least, put on a good show and have fun. That's what you're there for, after all.

I'm sure there are other good tips, but that's all I got for now...

4. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I like to keep the following on hand at my gigs.

1. extra set of strings
    2. extra set of batteries
    2. extra cable(s)
    4. extention cord
    5. power strip
    6. some tylenol or advil
    7. bottle of water
    8. multi-tool for any emergency repairs
    9. small flashlight

5. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Whoa now ... as per the Forum FAQ stickied up top http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73200 (scroll halfway down) and you'll find several threads to help you such as :

Tips For Gigs http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64688

Backup Gear http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90130

My first gig ! http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86315

Act The Fool Live? - Jump up and get down. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65633

At some soon point I'll merge this thread into the existing tips thread.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yup check out those links....Play through your and others mistakes, don't stare at you drummer for flubbing a beat. Put a lot of emotion into it.....and most importantly turn up that bass and fill the room up with your sound, I don't care what the guitarist says. Everytime I listen to someone, bandmates soundguys and play quiter it sounds thin and the crowd loses interest. ALways try to fill the room with your bass and make sure the drummers kick mic is turned up too, it will allow the audiance to feel the music and become more involved.

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Remember, if your having fun and you show, the audience will react well. Don't worry about screwing up one or two notes either. And if you're the forgetful type, and you think you may forget which song you're supposed to play next, here's a tip: In big writing, on a 8.5x11 piece of paper, write your set list, and tape the piece of paper to the stage... if you forget a song, just look at the paper on the floor, and because it's taped, it won't go anywhere. This also works if you have a Multi-FX and you think you will forget which effect is used for which song. Good luck, have fun!!! :)

8. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Thanks guys for all the tips!

Take care
    TM

9. Make sure you look good. Chicks will be staring at you.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Everything that has been said before is very true, but most importantly, bring duct tape!

11. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    So far most of the thread has been about the tec. end of the gig and performance, but remember it doesn't end there. You may not be the "face" of the band, but you are still out there in front of people. Don't be afraid to go to the bar and rub elbows in between sets and at the end of the night. Love your fans and they will love you.

Odds are there will be atleast one bass player in the crowd that thinks that you're groovy, or is atleast nice enough to say so. This is a great boost and isn't just something that happens to guitarist and vocalist.

I really don't think that I can say enough to play the fans even when you're not on stage. The people like you, the more they talk about you. So, that guy that said "You guys are pretty awesome" and you bought him a beer, will go tell his friends "The next time these guys play, you have to come check them out with me." The more asses in the seats, the bigger the payouts. The bigger the payouts, the more gear you can buy. The better the gear and the bigger your fanbase, the better the dives you'll get booked. It keeps growing and growing.

Remember that even if you're an artist firstly, performer should be a very close nubmer two. I mean really, I know I'm not alone when I see a band at a bar then after the show/set go try and talk to the bass player. The guy is an ass. I never bother to see the group again.

Well.... /Public relations rant off