Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips on - Portable Mp3 players/Recorders

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassjamn, Dec 1, 2003.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I've been using mini-disks for over a year to do "Quick N dirty" jam recordings but due to the distortion problems which i've seen people post here and experienced myself i am looking for a replacement.

Anyone have some experience with the digital hard drive recorders people use these days? Not many seem to have recording inputs for mic's ..i remember the Arcos had one.

This one looks really nice, even has a input limit to make sure no dreaded distortion kicks in

http://reviews.cnet.com/iRiver_iHP_120/4505-6490_7-30571493.html?tag=dir

Any personal Advice/experience out there......

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Archos does NOT have a mike input. A few recorders actually have built in mikes but these are mono and for voice recording. Many have only rudimentary level metering or no metering at all.

As of today you'll still need an external mike preamp.

The "perfect" digital recorder that "has it all"...compact size, good battery life, long record time with no compression, a mike input AND a low price tag...is still in the future.

3. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    That's true i know something good will come along soon. I do need something now though and The iriver reviews i've read say the same thing you pointed out about needing a mic pre-amp.

Thought they say some mics come with built in pre-amps. I'd like to find one'a those.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd stick with minidisk for now since you already own one. I record jams and gigs to MD and the sound is undistorted.

The "preamplified mikes" I've seen to date are pretty pathetic (not meant for serious music recording).

Got $700? Marantz makes a portable pro CD recorder that might fit the bill. XLR mike inputs, phantom power, no copy protection, burns any CD-R or CD-R/W media.