Tired of knobs... tehehe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by taviswardlaw, Feb 3, 2006.

1. sorry couldn't resist :smug:

I dunno... maybe I'm getting old (19) but i'm tired of amps that have preamps wih too many knobs on them. I think it's partly the backwash from the digital craze. Because (IMO!!!) digital gear can never sound as good as analog (cuts out ultra and infra sound, which affects the sound of the freq.'s we can actually hear) so they add a bunch of knobs to compensate. Give me a good sounding tube amp with a three band eq and a master volume, and a good bass with the same and I am happy. Give me a good sounding tube amp with a 12band full parametric eq, Gain, volume, compression, built in effects and watch me struggle to make it sound decent.

less knobs please!!! anyone agree, or am i just tired of having so many knobs looking at me? :meh:
  2. I like parametrics, but hardly ever use them... I try, but then I switch off the parametric to compare, and it sounds better the way it did, so I hardly ever use the thing anymore unless I'm looking for a specific tone...
  3. nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    yes, I agree! no parametric/graphic eq for me...

gain/Bass/Mid/Treble/master is basically al I need... Plug and play!

that's the main reason i own a SVT.... :)
  4. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    My thing is not having any mystery knobs. I've played a few bass amps where you hit a switch or turn a knob and they don't really do anything. Or, the knobs have poor tapers, and do everything all at once. If there is a feature I don't want to use, I just don't use it.

All well designed audio amplifiers (even tube) cut out frequencies above and below the audio spectrum. If they didn't, your amplifier would turn into a radio station, be really noisy, or just sound bad.

If you have someone who knows what they're doing with DSP, they could make a digital preamp sound exactly like a tube preamp. New DSP technology will probably put me out of a job in a few years. Fast, 32-bit DSPs are just now getting cheap.
  5. I agree with just about everything you've said here except that I think DSP is still a bit far away from truly reproducing the 'tube sound.' There are too many random idiosyncrasies in tube stuff to be properly modelled by DSP at this point. though it's probably not all that far off....

Properly designed digital stuff can and does sound very very good.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Buy a Mesa 400+.

All tube, not too many knobs, and if you don't want the GEQ, you can turn it off.
  7. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I guess I'm in the minority. I love having 11 knobs, 9 push buttons, and a parametric eq.(Sunn 300T), but I also like having the ease of 3 knobs volume, bass and treble. (Sunn Sorado)

Just depends on the situation and tone I like. My gigging head needs more knobs for different rooms but the 3 knobber is a great recording head.
  8. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i run amps flat unless soemthing needs tweeking. in that case, i like to have the ability to tweek appropriately. therefore, i prefer many well designed "knobs" (that are rarely used).

a good para eq is like a good fire extinguisher, an insurance policy,
    or a microwave pizza.
  9. wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    I feel your pain. I have a Peavey BAM210 with all sorts of whiz-bang patches and emulations and adjustments, and we fought for a year to get a sound I could live with. I replaced the front end with an Alembic F-1X, and was loads happier with my tone after 5 minutes!

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I run my solid-state amp (GK400) nearly flat, and it sounds great. I don't do the whole presence and contour control (search for my thread on the "enhance" circuit).

My all-tuber (Bassman 100) is nearly flat too, with a bit of bass boosted and the bass boost switch on. No unnecessary knobs here.
  11. braun-jovi

Mar 25, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    I had a get together this week. Took a P-bass and a Fender Musicmaster amp. There were only four knobs between the two of them!
  12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think my SWR 750 is a good compromise. It does have that aural enhancer thing that I just don't get. I set it at 2 o'clock and it seems to sound OK. My other controls are set at 12 o'clock. I would love to have an old SVT tube amp. I wouldn't want to carry it though. I think a good amp for me would be something that has about 800 watts, a bass knob, a treble knob, and a volume. My first bass amp was a Sears Silvertone. It had the 3 knob set up. Pretty cool but sounded like s***.
  13. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    ...or maybe 2 of them! On the hunt for my 2nd right now. :hyper: :D :hyper: :D :hyper: :D :hyper: :D
  14. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    One of the reasons i love my Aggie DB659. It doesn't have a busy face filled with too many knobs, yet it still has the right set of features to make it more useful than most.
  15. I actually really like 12 band EQ, compression, etc. If you don't want it, you can always just not use it. :rolleyes: If you just roll off/turn off anything you don't want to deal with you'll be happy, instead of looking for something with a simple knob scheme.
  16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    But still, there is all that junk that it must go through. It's like an active bass - even flat, it won't sound passive.
  17. true, true, but most stuff will turn off.
  18. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    i don't like a lot of controls either- bass, mid, treble, a couple of others and that's enough for me. too many knobs just gives me a headache and too many options.
  19. ^^^^^^Dude in ur sig the 'loser' quote is actually Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) not Beck.
  20. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've had my F-2B going on 24 years and I'm still very happy with it...sounds great, less twiddling!