To Endpin or not to Endpin?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by kjazz1958, Oct 10, 2005.

1. kjazz1958

Mar 22, 2004
    No!! Not another thread on endpins!! :scowl:

I have searched all through this forum, and the jury seems to be out on the value of an endpin upgrade. Many seem to feel it is at the low end of things one would do to improve the sound or volume of a bass. Some swear they can have a significant effect, especially when looking at a "bent" endpin design. Then there are those who are excited about "graphite". Where will it END?? Can anyone PIN this down?? :rollno:

Well, I have an 1800's German flatback that does not put out much volume. The endpin needs to be re-installed, because it is not flush anymore. It is a basic one, but only 8mm shaft (OK, guys, let's get serious here: no more "rod" or "shaft-length" jokes, please!) :spit: I figure since it needs to be removed and reinstalled anyway, I should look into a replacement, if it makes sense as an improvement. If nothing else, going to 10mm might feel more stable. Yet, I am totally confused :confused: now, after reading about Camelopard's, the standard Gotz, various decent pins (KC Strings, Upton and Lemur Music "ONYX", for example), and now the guys with their graphites and "bent" style (ala Francois Rabbath). I play 95% pizz, and I am looking for sound and function, not impressing my friends...

Who cares to venture the definitive word? I know, I know.... "it depends on the specific bass" and "ask your luthier"...
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If the current pin is really crappy and lightweight and you go to a heaver Goetz type pin, you'll notice an improvement in tone, but only slightly. It isn't going to make a sleeping bass a screamer.
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Well then trade that old thing in for a new Bass with more Volume. lol
  4. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Gotz endpins are great in my experience, but mostly because of how smoothly they work and how sturdy they are. They are also viciously sharp when you remove the stopper, which means the rubber tip is seldom necessary. Go ahead and get one. But superior tone would never be a motivation for me to do it. The one sound difference I notice is a substantial opening-up when I remove the rubber tip, so nowadays I take it off whenever possible.