1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To Jazz or not to Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fetzu, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Earlier this year I picked up a 2008 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass. I instantly fell in love with it. It is a beautiful candy cola and maple. I installed some DiMarzio Model J’s and loved it even more. I am able to get so many tones out of it, I am always fiddling with the knobs to see what I can come up with. I love how good the neck feels, how well it plays, and how great it looks. But I feel that there is something missing with the Jazz. And I think that the honeymoon is coming to an end.

I am a Precision bass guy. I love everything about the P-bass. The look, the feel, the tone; how simple it is. I have 2 P-basses, one with flats and one with rounds, and I always leave the tone rolled a little more than half off on both. That’s it. I never am fiddling around with the P’s. The different nut widths doesn’t affect me at all between the P and J. I can go from one to the other and not feel restricted. Definitely do not like the jazz body shape, it feels unequal to me. That is one of the things that I really do not like and it bothers me. Lately, I try to play the jazz, but always put it down pretty quick and go back to my P before too long because it feels like home.

Using a VT Bass also, I always use the same settings on it when I am using the precisions, but with the jazz, I am fiddling those knobs too. The Jazz with the VT is so versatile, but I am also searching and finding new tones that I am driving myself nuts. I spend more time tweaking than I do playing.

So, should I keep or sell the Jazz? I have been thinking about this for the last month. Should I get rid of a beautiful and versatile bass for one that I will use alot more and really enjoy, or should I hang on to it? I mean, you can’t go wrong with a P and a J in the stable, but I am a P-bass guy. Plain and simple.

Opinions? Thoughts?
    DSC07671.jpg

2. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    I can empathize with what you're going through - I have the same issues with the J-Bass body (NOT the sound). I'm getting ready to order a raw P-Bass body from Warmoth and have it routed for Jazz pups in a 60's configuration. I'm undecided if I'll have it professionally finished or do it myself (probably the later, as I'm pretty fair at such). I now have a P-Bass, a J-Bass, a P/J-Bass, and they're essential to my palate of tones. All you'd have to do (like myself) is replace the body - you already have everything else you need but a scratch plate...IF so desired. Give it some thought. The 3 bass types cover most of what I wish. I plan on repeating a similar project with a fretless neck after completion of this mod :p

3. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I'm always of the mind of:

- if I'm not going to play it regularly,
    - if it's not a collector's item or something that might be worth a ton of money someday,
    - if it doesn't have sentimental value,

then sell it.

But that's just me.

4. If any of your bands or songs need the jazz bass sound in the future then you might be in trouble if you have sold it.

5. If you don't need the money, it always helps to have several basses, all with different 'tonal' possibilities, to use as needed. I've got a 70's reissue J-bass - don't use it very often (it's the heaviest of all my basses, and I really prefer the 'active' tone for most of my playing) but when I need that J-bass tone, I've got it available to use.

6. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    You can give it to me, I'll give it a good home.

7. Keep it. Down the road you'll be glad you did. Every bass player should own a Jazz bass.

Signed: guy who regrets selling the Jazz...

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Sound advice...I'm with you.

Just to play devil's advocate...If a tool that you will use and if the price of that tool is what you paid then keep it.

9. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    For God's sake, keep it! You're only gaining regrets if you let it go.

10. been on my P for a month,doing some mods,not done yet,,i love the MIM P i have it's not for sale anytime soon

my J i felt like i was just getting sloppy because it was a fretless so i've abstained,but i'll tell you i love it a LOT more after NOT playing it for a month,seems like i can create sweet `upright' style tones easier without EQing a bunch ( practice odd styles i guess with country,bluegrass AND rock all part of my practise's)

and i aquired a new strap witch made a world of dif.,pitched the straplocks too,felt like they were`outriggers',just feels a lot lighter, tighter and better fit to my body now,sexy like a perfect fitting pair of Tony Lamas!!!,i love mine she's not leaving;)

dunno:meh: like you indicated you had a new girl you'd like to see,don't let the old girlfriend ruin it for you get the 5string or whatever you want life is short

11. I think you'll have to send it to me to try it out before I can recommend anything.

12. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    You'll regret selling this one. Believe me, in the future you may need a J and maybe you should be lucky enough to score another, but this one looks very nice, seem to be a keeper.

2008 was a very good year for Fender basses.

13. Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. There seems to be a pattern...

14. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You have two P basses already? What would you need another one for? The versatility of the Jazz may come in very handy someday. And nobodys forcing you to twiddle the knobs. Find a unique tone or two from it and use them when the P's can't cut it.

15. Fetzu

Fetzu

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I appreciate all your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.:hyper:

I thought I had the mindset like kreider posted, but everyone brought out some things that I may have overlooked or overthought.

-I would eventually regret selling it. It is such as nice bass.
    -I don't need the money. But if I sold it, I could buy some pedals and twiddle more knobs.:bag:
    -IMO basses are tools. Down the road I may need it.
    -Every bass player should have a jazz(and P).
    -It's versatile.

Actually when I play the jazz, I tend to max the neck pickup and roll off the bridge pickup to get that P sound.:D

As far as having two P-Basses, one of them is a Squier VM. I would like to upgrade that at some point. Nothing wrong with it, it has sunbeams and quarter pounders in it. But I am not 100% on it, there's something missing. My main player is my Highway One with TI's on there. I simply love that bass. Never will get rid of that one. Put it in the coffin with me.

16. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    I have a Warmoth JJ bass with J neck, P body.

It is my favorite set-up, slightly ahead of my PJ with same neck and body.

I have wished Fender would release this combo; G&L did it right with the JB-2.

17. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    always have a jazz in your tool box...

18. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm a P bass guy too, so I know what you mean. Personally, I'd ditch it. It's a great instrument, but if it's always coming in second to your P bass, why bother?

I'm looking to sell a Schecter Studio 5, because I prefer my P bass. Great instrument, just not for me.

19. Im the opposite
    I tried Ps and I always go back to the Jazz Bass
    I too roll the neck on full and the bridge back a quarter for the warmer sound

Its always great to have a Jazz
    and its always great to have a solid P Bass
    I have done without a P and I am fine
    You may be fine without a Jazz
    Want more versatility with a P bass body?
    Sell the Jazz or one of the P basses and get a P/J configuration in a P Bass
    ala Tony Franklin or a Precision Bass Special

20. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I like the idea of getting a PJ. You have the P if all you want is a P kinda sound, but you have the chance to add that J for some more versatility.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021