Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, May 24, 2005.

1. Can anyone give me an I dea of what sort of a sound the tobias basses have - I play a Warwick thumb, and am looking at the tobias basses because I like the crafting, but have never heard one played?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Are you talking about the original, pre-Gibson Tobias basses, the cheapie Korean Growlers and MusicYo stuff, or the Gibson-made models that cost an arm and a leg?

Or are you talking about the MTD basses made by Michael Tobias?

3. I dunno, I guess its the new stuff, so its made by gibson right? Do they cost an am and a leg? I just saw them on the site and thought they looked really nice...

4. +1

Each model is goinbg to sound a bit different than it's sister models. Which one/s are you looking at?

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Growlers are terrible for the money. The MusicYo Tobias Toby's are not available at MusicYo anymore. I hear they are excellent for the money. Pre-Gibsons are excellent, but I doubt that's what you're thinking of. Gibson-made Tobias basses are hit or miss. I played a 5'er that I hated and then right after, a 4 that was absolutely incredible. You HAVE to play them before you buy.

MTDs, you get what you pay for. Kingstons are cheap, and good for the money. MTD 535's are expensive as hell, but can have just an INSANE tone. Listen to some Norm Stockton. ;)

Good Luck.

-Eric.

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Depends GREATLY on when it was made. I've heard/played one of the earlier Growler 5's (dual dip switches) and it was AWESOME.

+1
    One of his favorite demos is that you can play three voice chords in the FIRST position, and they actually sound like chords instead of mud. Further, they don't even have to be super basic voicings, either.

I've owned mine for a while now and still can't believe the clarity as well as how useful the preamp is (much wider "usable" range than most of the active pre's I've used). Beware, tho, that clarity tells all!

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Growlers are not Korean made. They are made in the USA.