Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Help needed!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boona, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Boona

Boona

Apr 23, 2005
    I bought a used 6-string tobias in 1998. I like the tone and the feel of the bass. However, I have not been able to find out what model it is or the year it was made. Is there anyway of finding out?

The color is clear cherry, appears to be 7-piece, neck-thru, tobias pick-ups, and made in Korea. I also forgot to add that this base takes (3) 9 volt batteries. The serial number is 5064568.

I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Boona

2. Serial #?????? Check out Michael Tobias's website also, there's great info there also.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MIK with Tobias pickups? Sounds like a Toby Pro 6.

4. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    That´s a strange serialnumber. My Gibson-made Tobias from 1998 has a 4-digit serialnumber. Maybe it´s one of the "Standard"-series. Hmm...

Send a mail to Gibson Customer Service with your serialnumber, maybe they can give you information about the bass.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    THREE 9V's? Hmmm, that's very odd...

~S~

PS: I've seen people do this mod on their own(27V) & it proved no difference or benefit from 18V systems.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Sounds like a Toby Pro 6.

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Having an early toby pro collecting dust around here....

I would bet that it is a TobyPro 6 with an upgraded pre amp. Probably an Aguilar because I don't know of anything else out there that can run at 27 volts.

On the other hand, mine was bought new, not nearly that old and has a serial # that starts with 4 zero's

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none

9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Probably a toby... none of the earlier tobias basses had tobias pickups. Usually barts. I think only the tobys were made in Korea

10. Just an FYI,
    The Tobias pickups are most likely the ADX6 pickups found on many Ibanez Soundgears. THere will be a sticker on the backside of the pickup. And yes my guess is a Toby Pro also. And if the preamp is a motherboard type that was the stock pre.
    Dirk

11. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    try

www.musicyo.com

They are the ones who sold the Korean Tobys (but, no more....)

12. Boona

Boona

Apr 23, 2005
    I spoke to Mr. Tobias today after I looked at musicyo.com and came up with nothing. He advised that the bass did come from Musicyo.com.

Thanks for all of your help, you guys are awesome.

Boona