Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Toby's Back on MusicYo????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dannoman, Mar 20, 2006.

1. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I thought they weren't selling these anymore? I heard that they were gonna be sold at GC....

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That's pretty cool. I bought a 6 string from there about 5 years ago and it i still my primary bass. I did swap out the preamp and pups for bartolini stuff because it just sounds better that way.

3. Thank You Baby Jesus!!! Oh Lordy, I Thought This Day Would Never Come!!! A Second Chance For A Poor Scmuck Like Me To Get a Toby!!!

-ryan-

PS. I'm very excited!!!

4. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I had a red toby pro bolt on, bought before MusicYo hit the scene. Look like a different bass.

Mine had weak electronics and floppy neck. These may be a different beast, though.

5. A MusicYo Toby Deluxe 5 was my main bass for years and overall I guess it was ok for the money, but it has some serious limitations, like a floppy B string and terrible hardware. I had to re-tune every couple of songs or so and after a few years the bridge was bent upwards from the string tension. String spacing is very narrow (64 mm @ the bridge) so it's great for fast fingerstyle but hopeless for slap-popping. I love the tone though, very "woody" and mellow despite the all-maple construction, but a bit of a one trick pony, you can eq it alright but not really change its character, if you see what I mean. There's a "sweet spot" on the balance control (slightly towards the bridge pu) and anything else doesn't sound too good. I guess better pickups would help. Very nice fretwork, terrible factory setup (it was unplayable out of the box). Funny that it wasn't until I got my current #1 (a Warmoth) and realized what I'd been missing that I decided to upgrade the hardware on the Toby (Kluson tuners, ABM bridge) to at least have a backup that I would actually want to use if needed. Much better but still nothing to write home about.

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Alas, the Toby Pro 5-string acoustic has not returned.

I'm kicking myself for not having bought one while I could have...damn.

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Same here.:(

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I first bought a 5 string bolt on and played that for a bit. I didn't do anything to it as far as upgrades. I ended up giving it to my son. I bought a six string neck thru that plays great and sounds way better since I put a Bartolini 3 band preamp and Bartolini pickups in it. I didn't think at the time it would help much but I listened to the guys here at TB and dropped some money into the Toby and ended up with a nice bass.
    It is a heavy bass though. I picked up a buddy's 5 string Conklin and it felt like a feather compared to the Toby.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just wondering what's the source of this information??

10. I'm really interested in a Bartolini pre amp and pickup up change on my six string Toby PRO-6B Custom. Could you please enlighten me as to the what you have used.

Thanks

11. www.musicyo.com

and the tobias section:smug:

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Duh! I musta missed it! Looks like only the Pro's are there. No Deluxes! I bought one in 2000.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ah man, I was hoping for the return of the acoustic 5 as well.

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah, they're back with a higher price too.

15. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Here's the skinny on it...

I sent an email asking about it and here's what i got back...

"We received this shipment that was not expected. We were able to get their approval to sell this inventory but when they are gone we will not be offering them any more.

Thanks"

16. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Get em while they are hot!!

17. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    So why the elevated price?, hmmm, seems kinda planned out.

18. Prices aren't that much higher. Limited quantity is a justification for the slight increase though, supply and demand my friend, supply and demand. ;)

I know I've got my eye on the Toby Pro 5 Custom model. She's lookin' very purty, especially that ASYM neck.

-ryan-