1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tokai Hard Puncher for $300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by An Army Of Juan, Oct 24, 2013.

1. I'm talking with a guy on Craigslist about an early '80's Tokai Hard Puncher P-Bass clone. He wants $300 or he'll trade for a Telecaster, and I happen to have a Squier VM Tele Special that I never play.

Are these good basses? I seem to remember that maybe Tokai was the factory that made the '80's JV Squiers? I know that the Tokai Tele copies are well regarded. Is this a fair price/trade?

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The price sounds fair. Completed listings on Epray show them selling for an average of $ 300 or more. I have never tried one but have heard good reviews overall.

3. I played an older one and it effin killed

4. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I just sold a similar Japanese vintage Precision on eBay for $359 plus shipping. It was a 1976 Greco PB-750 -- basically, a very nice Fujigen P/J Precision bass from the lawsuit era. And it had a great tone and feel.

If your Tokai is in good condition, the $300 price sounds fair (or even a little low) to me too. (For the record, I don't think Tokai is the name of the factory, but I could be wrong. I've read that the two big factories were Fujigen and Matsumoku, and I think Tokai's came from one or both of these places.)

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Get it!

6. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Tokai make and have made lots of great instruments, including some of the current fender Japan instruments. Just checking my notes though Tokai has always had its own shop in Hamamatsu, so they were never made in Matsumoku or in Matsumoto (where Fuji Gen Gakki is)

7. I'm in negotiations with the guy right now! :D:bassist::D

Hell, I want it just for the name! LOL!

Maryvillebass likes this.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Howbout "springy sound" and "goldstar sound"?

9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    If its in good shape, $300 is a good price. These were Precision killers back in the day. Really well made and have stood up to time very well.

Negotiate, of course, but if you can trade a Squier 6 string for it, it could approach 'steal of a deal' territory.

10. I remember tryin' one at a pawnshop back in the early 90's, and it seemed build quality was every bit as good, if not better than a US Fender. I can't speak for the playability, due to (as usual) a poor set-up. To this day they still seem to be a "secret" among bassist who like a nice bass for a little scratch. But, to be honest, it seems I've seen several sell in the $500-$600 range before. But, that was 3, or 4 years ago (market fluctuation? Who knows). But, if you're in the market for a P-Bass, then...... Well? What're you waitin' for?!? Hit "BUY IT NOW"...... Now!!!

11. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    If you get it, but ultimately don't like it, I would happily trade you a Squier VM model for it down the road :)

12. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    'Hard Puncher' is the best name for a P-bass ever! :bassist:

13. I may one day consider a Squier Matt Freeman or an older MIM standard P Bass, but I think I'll be happy with this awesomely named bass for now, assuming that the trade goes through. :)

14. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Having played a few Tokais, they've always been good. $300 is more than a fair price.

15. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    Make sure to post pics. They're a little on the rare side and TB loves to check out anything and everything. This thread will show up in google searches for Hard Punchers and those visitors - like you did - will want all the info they can get.

Oh, and no pics = it didn't happen :p

16. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    BUY IT FAST....I think it was Fuji Gen who made the JV instruments for Fender?I own a 1982 JV Strat early production Fender logo large squire small a very fine instrument i would LOVE to find a JV Bass.Also i remember reading an article talking about the Tokia copy Strats being worth roughly $1500 this was a few years ago not sure they would pull that now but my point is this if that being the case i would think this bass might be worth more than $300.I would pay that in a heartbeat Good Luck post pics.

17. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I have a 78 Hard Puncher that rivals an all original 1957 Fender P I played not too long ago. Great basses. The most desirable ones are the Fender headstock models (lawsuit). The headstock changed to a more angular design after the cease and desist, but the later ones play very well.

18. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    There is virtually no chance at all that one of those two basses would be better than a older (early 80's) Tokai.

19. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Just to argue semantics (and parrot things I've gathered from the intertubez). Fender never sued anyone.

Norlin (Gibson's Parent Company) Went after Ibanez in 1977 and it was only trademark infringement on the open book headstock that Ibanez (or more accurately Hoshino Gakki Gen) was copying. I'm fairly certain the case was settled out of court. This was the main focus and I don't think any other suits were filed until Gibson went after PRS.

I'm not saying you are wrong to say it's "Lawsuit Era" as it is pretty much the common nomenclature when referring to these MIJ instruments. I think that "Copy Era" is a bit more accurate.

:)

With that out of the way,...at $300 I'd rather have an old 70's Tokai/Greco/Ibanez etc P-Bass Copy than any 90's or above MIM Fender etc etc. Provided that it is in good knick it is likely a higher quality instrument with more mojo and a legit appearance than any other of the umpteen million P-Basses and knockoffs currently on the market. $300-ish is totally a reasonable price for one of these.

Now if these were only more widely available locally. :meh:

20. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina

For SURE!