1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tokyo outdoors - dial up beware

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pacman, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hey guys, just thought I'd share a few photos I took today. I took my daughter out to explore our new area. We ended up at a beautiful park on the outskirts of Tokyo - you'd never guess we were on the edge of a city of 35 million! Anyway, it was beautiful, and I thought some of you'd like to see it....

The park has a Japanese garden section, and within that is a Bonsai Garden.

BonsaiTrees.

Here is a nice shot of a lake in the middle of the park...

LakeatShowa.

My daughter loves the water...

RachaelatShowa.

LotusFlower.

Kids don't even need to speak the same language to be friends

RachaelsNewFriend.

Rachael wants to be a model...

Rach-umbrella.

LakeHouse.

Oh, and there has to be one for Maki - outside the Nishi-Tachikawa station. Beauty comes in many forms....

ShowaPark053.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

What a sick place Japan looks like, man.

3. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    I'd do near anything to go there.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    hahah the last pic made me laugh.
    I was thinking to myself "Maki will sense this thread and come running" and there's that pic!

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Glad it's working out for you, Pac. What a great place. Maybe my favorite city.

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Cool looking place, great pictures too. Never been there but would love to one day.

7. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks for the pictures. I'd love to see more.

8. Glad to see your enjoying it! I visited there with my family about two years ago; one of the most interesting places I've ever been.

Be prepared for lots of eggs though. Almost everything we ate had a cooked egg on top of it, even our spaghetti.

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Great pictures Jon. Do you happen to know how old the bonsai in the foreground of the first picture is?

Marshall

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Marshall, I couldn't read the sign - but judging from the one's that were 7 years old and only an inch or two high, I'd say it was quite old!

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Wow-great pictures.

Tokyo/Japan in general, is on my list of places to go before i die.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Beautiful on many levels. The scenery is nice too.

13. Lovely pics. What part of Tokyo are you in?

I'm just finished teaching in Japan, I was there for 5 months, I spent one month of it working in Iidabashi in Tokyo (while living out in Chiba, sick commute every day!), it's an amazing city but one month is enough! My poor wee brain just can't comprehend that many people in one place. 4 million people go through Shinjuku station a day - that's the population of my country! Madness. :) I went back to Tokyo for the last week of my stint, this time out in Asakusa, it was great to be back for the week! I'm only back home 3 weeks now and I already miss it a lot. Although I'm pretty sure I wasn't in any of the places in your pictures, they bring back happy memories of Japan in general. :)

14. drool.

15. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Leinad, I'm out in Fussa. All of those pictures were taken in Showa Park, right outside the Nishi-Tachikawa station.

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ahh, I thought that looked familiar! I was there on the last visit.

17. Your daughter is soooo cute.

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Cool stuff Jon!

19. I just got back from Japan a few weeks ago! Lived there for 5 weeks with 3 host families. Where did you say? I stayed in Saitama (prefecture north of Tokyo)

20. My mom has two of them in her house (Tojo toilets)..it is nice b/c the seat warms, it washes you and drys you too! lol! She special ordered them (she is Japanese). Oh I stayed at that hotel too..from the same reason..mechanical problems while leaving Japan-we had to turn plane around and dump fuel in the Bay!!! I was only 8 at the time but you know why they were dumping the fuel, right! yeah! in case....But they put us up over night at that hotel..I knew it was Prince something .....

Seeing the photos make me want to go back to Japan again. :bawl: I have been 4 times-visiting family.. I think I have been to that garden/house/temple the last time I was there...