1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tolex cleanup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tulkas, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Hey people. I wanna clean up the tolex of my 115 cabinet, what is the best thing that should i use?

Don't wanna damage the cabinet.

And yes, it's just a esthetic issue.

Thanks, feedback apreaciatted. :)

João.

2. Soap and water?

3. No man, the soap sux, allready try it.

Come on, don't spam the topic.

4. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    ... Way to piss me off to the point where I won't give you the idea I did. Be nice to your forum-mates.... goobag.

5. What's on the tolex? Dust? Goo?

6. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Try using automotive vinyl cleaner. That's what I use on my Peavey Classic.

Mike

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    On a couple of old tolex-ed amps, when there were some scuffs that I simply could not remove, I touched up with a whiff of flat black spray paint, rubbed until it got the right sheen to match the vinyl.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I use Armor-All cleaner and a scrub brush.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    True, a brush helps, 'specially if the tolex is nubbly.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I used to use ArmorAll until I read about Maguire's Mirror Glaze Professional Rubber and Vinyl Cleaner on a similar thread here... Tried it, and this stuff is the real-deal! Cleans without coating, restores luster and treats the tolex/vinyl/whatever...

I used a soft brush to get it into the grain... beautiful. You can find it in the automotive department... I'd give credit to the original poster, but I cannot find the thread...

[edit] Credit to Kelly Lee in This Thread... Thanks KL!! [/edit]

-robert

11. Thanks a lot for the tips people.

The question is, i life on europe, Armor All is selled here?

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm not sure if Armor-All and Maguire's are available in Europe but I would suspect that any quality automotive rubber/vinyl cleaner would work well.

When my wife and I were married, her car had a vinyl covered roof that looked like Tolex (the Fender style grain).

13. rockinroller

rockinroller

Dec 6, 2010
    Tried everything under the sun to remove scuffs, fill in scratches, rejuvenate faded areas on my grain-vinyl covered amps until I discovered good old (paste-style--not liquid) black shoe polish. Unbelievable coverage and finishing with a typical soft bristle shoe polish brush, the polish residue is completely removed, leaving a dull but reasonable shine (without looking like you just Armor-All'd it) and the black base of the shoe polish fills in and hides all but the paint-based scratches (you know: rubbing the amp along that white trimmed bar table).

One piece of advice when applying: Use a T-shirt type rag and moisten it before swirling into the shoe polish tin to get some material for applying. Then apply the material in a circular motion on a 6 inch area of the amp. Don't do more than 1/3 or 1/2 of one flat area before wiping vigorously with another dry rag/towel. Then finish by buffing with that soft brush.

Sorry for the late reply.

Losbass likes this.
  14. This poster is not "spamming the topic" and in fact that is a genuinely good answer. Dishwashing detergent, water and a fingernail brush is pretty much what I use to clean up old tolex. If it's harder to clean than that I will use some diluted Simple Green cleaner with a brush.

Pretty much any decent cleaner or soap made for vinyl will be fine. There was no reason to be a jerk to this person who gave a valid answer.

15. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Well, you didn't say you already tried soap and water or that it...how you say? "Sux?" I doubt a serious TB'er like KiethBMI was spamming you. Probably why you got a reply like this: vvvv

16. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    And you probably wouldn't get "spam" responses if you searched first...you're not the first person who wanted to clean his or her Tolex. Here, I searched for you:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/remove-dust-my-cabs-tolex-598015/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/best-method-cleaning-tolex-497219/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/cleaning-up-cab-384386/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/cleaning-tolex-best-thing-409778/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/tips-cleaning-tolex-213830/

You'll notice soap and water gets mentioned quite often.

17. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    Totally agree on the shoe polish. Works wonderfully and makes it look better than new.

18. MLC_BassPlayer

MLC_BassPlayer Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Apex, NC
    1) wipe down wit a wet cloth
    2) clean using Murphy's Oil Soap and water
    3) Armorall

My diesel is now minty clean...

19. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Cockpit spray cleaner.

20. jobbermania

jobbermania Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Philadelphia PA
    I used car wash soap. A capful in a two gallon bucket.
    Worked surprisingly well on a very dusty dirty looking early nineties Peavey 215D.
    Car wash soap is a lot less aggressive than dish or laundry detergent.
    Tried to position the cabinet so I was always working on a vertical surface.
    Tilted it one way or the other with scraps of wood so the water wouldn't run onto the drivers or front panel.
    Using a brush is key.
    Rinse with water and the brush again.
    Saw all the detritus on my driveway the next day. Yep it was that dirty.

Mitt Romney says I could have just strapped onto the car and ran it through the car wash.