1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tolex Glue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pickinator, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pickinator

Pickinator

Dec 28, 2011
    Eagle River WI
    Any recommendations on a good, easy to use glue to put new tolex on a pair of Carvin BX 600 heads. I have the old Tolex and rat fur removed and the wood is sanded nice and smooth.

Thanks

Swivomatically

2. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I have used the water based contact cement from tubesandmore.com with success. It did release when it was just above a pair of hot 6V6s in a guitar head cab.

3. whatisacup

whatisacup

Oct 20, 2012
    I've been told to use contact cement. My dad owns an ATA case company and uses contact cement to adhere the ABS, fiberglass, metal or vinyl to the plywood.

I find contact cement to be messy and I used 3m super 77 when I retolexed my head. I ended up deciding the funky color looked stupid and a few months later, I peeled it off to use a more traditional color. When I peeled off the original tolex, it came right off. When I peeled off the tolex I applied with the super 77, it was hell to get off. Even using flat tools and a heat gun, the hold ended up pulling up some of the plys of the plywood. I needed to fill them in.

I also find the 3m super 77 spray is much easier to spread out.

4. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    I have been using Tru Glu from Mojotone on my cabinets for several years now. It is water-based and has worked very well for me.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The solvent based contact cement works well but is pretty toxic. Water based contact cement is more than strong enough.

With any glue, proper technique is important.

99Z3 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021