Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tom anderson jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pacojastorius, Mar 11, 2006.

1. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    anyone ever try or know anything about the Tom Anderson jazz basses

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Tom Anderson made some nice stuff, in late 70's and 80's.
    This was before, Sadowski, lull, lakland ect.
    High end fender style.

3. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    did he use warmoth like sadowsky in the 80s? did he make them by hand and were they expensive custom jobs?
    cheers

4. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Why don't you just ask him ? The people at Anderson are very pleasant and helpful. Email.

aguitars@earthlink.net

5. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    interesting, Tom says that he never built these basses and that it was probably his european dist. that put together Anderson parts.
    thats a real shame, unless it was put together by someone that new what they were doing, but who's to know??maybe its held together with paper clips?

6. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    also Anderson says that he never gave anyone permission to put the Anderson logo on the headstock as he didnt build any basses.
    so this bass is about as good as a Wamouth. Although i also found out doing a search here that Victor Baileys Pensa Suhr bass was built using parts from Tom Anderson (the body and the neck) so it comes down to who actually put it together, maybe we will never know!
    :confused:

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have heard rumors that Anderson does the bodies of one of the high end Jazz basses. A company that certainly DOES NOT use Warmouth. I won't say which one. But I have never seen any Anderson Basses myself in the states. For the record both Mike Lull and Roger Sadowsky have stated clearly they do not use Warmouth.

8. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Anderson used to build necks and bodies for a particular high end builder but they haven't done that in quite a while - there is more demand for their guitars than they can produce. I've been after them for years to build a bass. But in terms of quality, Alleva~Coppolo does for basses what they do for guitars in my opinion.

9. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    In the late '70s/early '80s, Tom was a big name at Schecter, which made killer strat and tele bodies, necks, pickups, and hardware. The guitars were generally assembled by about a dozen "Schecter Shops", like Rudy's (as in Rudy Pensa - John Suhr was the luthier there, and built a lot of them), Wilcutt's (who built a lot of "exotic" Schecters, eg, solid figured maple/koa/padauk/etc bodies, Braz RW necks), Strings & Things in Memphis, and Valley Arts (before Samick bought them) until '83 or so, when Schecter moved to TX and started building their guitars entirely by themselves.

Tom then set up his own shop and started supplying bodies and necks to what became pretty major high-end names like Pensa-Suhr (Mark Knopfler's first Pensa-Suhr is a TA body and neck - John Suhr hand carved the top, though) and Valley Arts (where Don Grosh had come on board as production manager). He started working on pickups, as well, and around '88, he started building on his own instruments.

Tom never made any complete basses, but he definitely made bodies and necks for, in his own words, "other prominent builders." He also sold parts to Moon in Japan for a while, who assembled them and labeled at least some of them as Tom Anderson Guitarworks for their domestic market. He says he stopped doing bass stuff in '90.

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Well, I know for a fact Tom does not make bodies for Sadowsky.

11. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
  12. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Some of them are. Tom has hinted on the TA Forum that others might not be made from TA parts, though he didn't know for sure if Moon labeled any of their non-TA basses with the TA logo.

13. antnebass

antnebass Play bass everyday..Its good for your soul Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I have a Tom Anderson Jazz bass neck that I put on a warmouth pbass body with EMGs Gold guard ,black nitro with matching headstock

14. bigthor

bigthor

Jan 19, 2011
    A bit off topic, and I hope the thread is not dead, but what about Moon/Warmoth kind of stuffs?

Attached Files: